Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

MEGA 3:1 gear box binding.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 08:05 AM
RickAvery

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MEGA 3:1 gear box binding.

Has anyone had any experience with the MEGA gear box line? This is the one with the ring gear drive. I purchased one of the 3:1 units and when I try to screw the body onto the mounting plate, it screws on only so far with no binding but the last 1/4 to 1/2 turn before it gets tight, the gears start to bind. Thanks for any help.
Rick
Old 04-18-2005, 08:57 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: MEGA 3:1 gear box binding.

Mine came with an adapter plate for non-Mega motors. It was kind of X-shaped. Sounds like the pinion gear or motor shaft may be pushing into the back of the ring gear, rather than the gear teeth binding. The adapter would push the motor back away a little.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:32 PM
RickAvery

Default RE: MEGA 3:1 gear box binding.

Thanks for the ideas. I also thought that might be the problem. I had put a dab of lithium grease on the gears and slowly screwed on the bell housing to the mounting plate while the motor ran at a low RPM. But when I got just about to bottom out, the RPM would drop. When I took the bell housong off, I could see the amount of gear engagment by the wear pattern in the grease was just over 3/4 of the way across the ring gear. So, I don't think it was rubbing. Another fellow on RCgroups had the same problem and he made a thin ring to put behind the bell housing so it would bottom out 1/2 turn sooner. May have to try that. Thanks for the response.
Rick