Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Prop adapter spun off

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:41 AM
mile hi flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prop adapter spun off

First of all, I would like to thank everyone for the endless help I have received from this forum. I am new to the forum and just love it! Now for my question. I have a hi-maxx gear box and have had the prop adapter spin the prop off a few times during flight. Thank goodness I have been able to land with no damage. I believe my deadstick skills have had enough practice for now. I have tightened the spinner on as tight as I can and used blue thread lock on the threads. Is there something else I can do? Do I need to rough up the shaft with a small file or put thread lock on the shaft?

Thanks,
mile hi flyer
Old 04-18-2005, 08:52 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Prop adapter spun off

I'm presuming this is a set-screw type. Frankly, I prefer the collet type adapter because they grip from all sides and are self-centering.

But let's try to work with what you've got. Does it fit snugly on its own? It shouldn't shake, wobble, or run off-center. If it does, you might have the wrong size adapter. Perfect opportunity to upgrade to a collet type, IMHO

No need to rough up the shaft, but filing a small flat on the shaft for the set screw to bite on will help. File a notch rather than filing the length of the shaft.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:35 PM
mile hi flyer

Matt, thanks for the reply. It is the collet type and it fits pretty snug on the shaft before I tighten it. I double checked it yesterday and made sure it was tight. I have three more flights on it now with no problems. I think I just didn't have it on tight enough.
Thanks again.

Mile hi flyer
Old 04-19-2005, 02:23 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

if it is the one that came with the motor... I never could get mine to stay.....
spun off several times....

switched to a prop saver and never had a problem again....