Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

Please help - How does one clean ball bearings?

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Please help - How does one clean ball bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:00 AM
RC Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help - How does one clean ball bearings?

Hi

Nosed in my electric today with my trusted PJS 1000 outrunner.

Got a lot of dust into the housing.

I opened out the motor and cleaned up all the dust however the front ball bearing seems to have ingested some dust (looks like a sealed assembly 4mmx8mmx3mm) . Feels little gritty when I turn the inner race. I removed the bearing and washed it in some alcohol - shook it up pretty well in a small container and then I lubricated it with some sewing machine oil. It improved things but still feels gritty when I trun the inner race.

Any idea's on how to clean the bearing or do I just replace it?

Problem with the PJS 1000 is that the front housing has cooling holes (four) and nosing the acircraft into the ground in the future cannot be ruled out - in fact it will happen again and again with my kind of flying. Is replacing the bearing the answer?

I'am sure I am not the only guy facing this problem and there must be an easy way out - all you RC guru's can you please help me out.

many thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 07:20 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Please help - How does one clean ball bearings?

Check your balls carefully; they may be worn. You can't fly with bad balls.