Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Big Power from new Phoenix HV ESCs

Old 08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big Power from new Phoenix HV ESCs

[link=http://www.castlecreations.com/]Castle Creations[/link] has introduced a new line of Phoenix HV ESCs.

The Phoenix HV-45 brings the awesome power of high voltage systems within the reach of almost any modeler. Don't let the amp rating fool you here - 45 amps and 50 volts adds up to over 2,000 watts of power or 3 horsepower! The Phoenix HV-45's compact size, #13 wires, and, light weight make high voltage systems a realistic possibility for even small field aircraft and small to medium sized helicopters. Use the Phoenix HV-45 in your next .40-size electric conversion and marvel at the extra power and runtime that high voltage systems are known for. Castle Creations has powered their own 11lb Funtana 90s "test" aircraft with a Phoenix HV-45 controller and a 12s Lipo battery pack for unlimited verticals and wild 3D maneuvers - electric has never been this fun as well as affordable!

The Phoenix HV-85 has the power handling capability for just about anything you can put into the sky! With a total ability of over 4,000 watts (that's 5 horsepower!), the Phoenix HV-85 is right at home in all quarter-scale and giant-scale fixed wing aircraft, and large helicopters alike. The thick #10 wires provide impressive current handling. Their factory pilot, Dan Landis, used one in this season's FAI pattern competition, including the Nats in Muncie. Compare the price, size, and capability of the Phoenix HV-85 to the competition, and you'll understand the Castle Creations advantage.

I'll be testing these two ESCs in some glow to electric conversion projects soon.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81196.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	304833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96616.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	304834  
Old 08-02-2005, 11:16 PM
voodoo51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big Power from new Phoenix HV ESCs

When you say "in Reach" you mean price wise? for the common man?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:36 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

so it looks like we would just have to rethink our packs a little bit, instead of bulding a pack for high amps....we would neep to build them with more cells for the higher voltage, correct?

That Ohm guy and his silly law!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:17 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

You can go that way, but I prefer to see this as an opportunity to convert larger planes!
Old 08-03-2005, 07:52 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Sure...but you would still have to keep the amps low and use more cells, wouldn't you?? or am I missing something?
Old 08-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Actually, you keep the Amps the same and use more cells. That allows you to fly bigger, heavier planes.

45 Amps is not "low current." It's about average for your typical .40-.60 size sport conversion. 45 Amps isn't excessively high current either. You get reasonable flight times with batteries of reasonable weight. None of the components are being stressed or overheated...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Mike Parsons

I have two Pheonix 110 HV's in my 87" Yak. I saw an increased RPM over the Jeti 77 and the startup is super smooth.

Exeter,
As Matt said, not necessarily low, but in line with the amperage of the controller. Electric Helicopter conversions have been using high voltage setups (12s-16s) for some time now. There have been many open discussions about high amperage vs high voltage. Amps cause heat and many claim that the HV setups run cooler.

-Mike
Old 08-05-2005, 04:34 AM
c-grain

Mike,what connectors are you using on the ESC's?I just got the HV85 from Castle and was supprised to see they used #10 wire on both sides of the controller!I have been using DeansUltra conns. for almost all of my setups so far,but I don't think I can solder #10 wire to them-too big.Will Anderson power pole's work?My Axi 5330-18 only has #13 wire on it.Also my Phoenix 80 has #13 also.BTW,I allways thought that Watts created the heat.It's the combination of amps and Volts that make heat [email protected][email protected]=2000W.[&:]
Old 08-05-2005, 12:39 PM
draganfly.com
My Feedback: (40)

Amps make heat, c-grain.