Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Phnx 25 overheating?

Old 08-10-2005, 10:58 AM
rcmaster-RCU
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phnx 25 overheating?

I am running a Nippy 280 silver with the variable pitch prop( the blue 9.75" one) and a 3 cell 1050 lipoly with 4 servos 2 HS-55 and 2 gws naro/std. I just hooked everything up and wanted to see if it all worked ok and I ran full throttle a couple of times for a few seconds and I noticed the speed control was too hot to touch even melted the shrink wrap covering a bit. I know with the bec enabled I should only run only 3 servos or a smaller battery but others said they get away with it all the time. I disconnected a servo and took the prop off and ran the motor and the controller still got pretty warm or warmer than what I think it should be. The motor specs say that with a 9x4 prop at 8cells the amp draw should be about 9amps. I am going to try a smaller prop but I dont think thats going to help since it still got warm with no prop. Do these speed controlls heat up regardless and need air flow for cooling?

Appreciate the help.

Alex.