Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushless Motor Help

Old 08-15-2005, 02:53 PM
Allan Aguilar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless Motor Help

I have considered buying a brushless motor in the next few weeks, however, there are a lot of brushless motors out there and it is now confusing which one to get. However, I wanted to obtain your suggestion before I make my decision as to what to purchase. I am using 2 GWS planes, ME109 and a 4FU, which have been fiberglassed and painted. I don't have on hand the weight of both planes but I would assume that it will be less than 900 grams a piece. 30 amp brushless ESC will arrive soon. I also use an 8 cell 2100 mah Nimh, and will move to Lipos in the future.

Here is my brushless motor specifics:

1. Motor only for sport flying with some airbatics and power vertical climb
2. Reliable brushless motor for geared application
3. Able drive high pitch 10" hyperdrive props (9 x 8 to 10 x 8 prop range)
4. Direct fit to a GWS 400 gear box
5. Will not burn my credit card, only up to US$ 60.00 (if any)

Based on this assumptions, I have considered 1 brand which is a Himax 2025-5300. Since 1 brand is not enough for me, I would like to take a look for other options where you have experience using.

Thanks and I will appreciate your inputs. [8D]
Old 08-15-2005, 04:01 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: Brushless Motor Help

EFlite Park 380 would work very well... Also Hacker (B20L, B20S) has a couple that would work. Almost all brands have either the same screw mount spacing or adapters that will work with GWS gearboxes. There's more out there, I usually use the Himaxx and EFlite myself for $$$ reasons.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Allen:
On the GWS warbirds I use the Himax 2025 4200 with the 370 gearbox, the grey one, as the Himax adapter fits the smaller housing of the smaller motor. C drive which is 5.33 to 1. Prop is 10-8 HD 2100 ma. lipo batt. Will accelerate vertically out of your hand. Piled in my poor 2 yr old Zero when a servo shorted out, shut down the ESC and came in vertically at full throttle. Popcorn. Building another.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:54 AM
MannyEdge
My Feedback: (9)

Hello All:

I fly gas engines, but recently, I purchased a brushless motor to it give a shot. I have all the electronics and I was wondering if you need to break them in. I have E-flite Park 400. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Manny
Old 08-17-2005, 08:21 PM
jdetray

ORIGINAL: Manny5150

Hello All:

I fly gas engines, but recently, I purchased a brushless motor to it give a shot. I have all the electronics and I was wondering if you need to break them in. I have E-flite Park 400. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Manny
Brushless motors do not need any breaking in. They are ready to run right out of the box.

- Jeff
Old 08-18-2005, 07:04 AM
Allan Aguilar

Oh yeah, what I only know and experience with is, only brushed motor needs to be broken in so the motor will perform its peak, as for brushless, I guess there is no need.

Just an input, other comments will be a welcome.

[8D]