Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

If I wanted to use a fuse with my ESC what size?

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

If I wanted to use a fuse with my ESC what size?

Old 08-17-2005, 10:22 PM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I wanted to use a fuse with my ESC what size?

I keep burning up my ESC. How many amps below the constant amp rating should I go with if I wanted to add a fuse? Or should I be looking more at the peak amperage rating? For instance... The GWS 300 has a constant amp rating of 8A with a peak of 13A. The CC Pixie 20 has a constant of 20A and a peak of 30A. If I go with too high and amperage I'll burn the ESC again, if I go to low it'll blow the fuse under normal use.

Thanks in Advance!
Old 08-17-2005, 11:32 PM
INeedHelp

Default RE: If I wanted to use a fuse with my ESC what size?

I would be more interested in finding out why they are burning up rather than putting a fuse in to mask the problem. I would make sure you are not pulling to many amps and check for proper air flow first.

But for the fuse I would go with the sustained amp draw of the speed control or in this example 20 amps.
Old 08-18-2005, 12:33 AM
xray328

After I land I keep tapping the throttle by mistake which results in the prop trying to turn while the plane is on it belly. As a result the prop spins, hits the ground and just sits there trying to turn while my ESC goes up in smoke. So I want to put a fuse on it to prevent this from happening. That way I'm burning out 25 cent fuses instead of $50 ESC's.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

That's not the solution to the problem. The solution is to make a concerted effort to not push the throttle stick up after the plane lands...

A fuse won't necessarily burn up before the ESC does. For example, a 30 Amp fuse is designed to handle a 30A load, and blow after the load exceeds 30A for a period of time.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:49 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked the same question here and I can't find the thread to direct you to it but as I recall, you'll want a fast blowing fuse rated at approximately 30% more than you're putting through your system at max throttle, but under the max rating for your ESC. I'm not the expert, but I would assume you'd NOT want to put a 30 amp fuse on there as more current needs to pass before it will blow. 25, maybe?

I learned a bit about fuses in my research, which may be of help. The voltage rating doesn't matter for our purposes. The rating is there to tell you at what voltage the current will arc over the burned out fuse.

Some fuses are 'ceramic' and are designed for high vibration environments. I don't think our electric systems would fall under that category, but if you are concerned, and you plan on mounting the fuse to the motor mount, it's something you may want to investigate.

I've been wanting to add fuses to my motors too, but haven't gotten around to it it yet. I want to keep the connection light, yet simple to change fuses. My best idea so far is to fabricate 2 clips out of scrap copper pipe that bolt to the wooden motor mount, soldered in between one of the motor leads. I haven't done it yet for want of scrap copper and time.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:49 PM
zeeshan

ive done this before none of that really matters get a 5 amp fuse and your done the strategy behind the its a 20 amp speed controller lets get a 19 amp fuse makes sense but isnt , i worked fine with a 5 amp