Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

FX-35 ESC

Old 08-25-2005, 02:45 PM
hiflyer2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FX-35 ESC

CAN ANYONE HELP ME ON THIS?
I need info. about an ESC I bought in the early 90's. It is the FX-35 ESC with BEC for brushed motors. It was made by AI/Robotics in Ca. I need to know how to set it up, and how to contact the co. The phone no. in my info. is not working. I have original instructions, but I need to know more than it gives on how to set it up. It had a site on Compuserve then. I don't know how to reach them, yet, either. Can anyone help me out there? Thanks ahead of time. Gerald Williams.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: FX-35 ESC

AI Robotics disappeared in the middle of the night. My esc died about 6 months ago. I still have most of the documentation. Please be more specific in what you need to know and I'll be glad to try to help.
Walt
Old 08-25-2005, 11:10 PM
hiflyer2

WT:

Thanks for the help offer. My email is [email protected]. I am in n.w. Okla. I will send you the following instructions: Setup using the throttle stick or a propor. channel.
1. Remove prop for safety.
2. Set trim tab to 50 percent and stick to OFF position.
3. Turn on trans.
4. If you are NOT using BEC apply power to the receiver.
5. Hook-up a bat. pack to ESC.
6. Wait about 10 seconds for Power-On-Safety-Delay to enable the controller.
7. If motor starts at full speed, reverse channel at transmitter.
8. Verify that you can control the speed of the motor throughout its full range.
Normally the motor will start turning when the stick movews about 1/3 of the way and it will be at full throttle when at 2/3 of the range. To adjust where in the stick's travel the motor starts to run use the trim tab.

On no.2, I use Eclipse 7 trans. Do I set it to neg. or pos. 50 percent. On no. 4, I am using BEC, so what to do? I haven't waited the 10 seconds as on no. 6, probably. I have only gotten about 1/2 throttle, I think.
It also says to put an on-off toggle switch on the red wire between ESC and battery,
and I used a slide switch, instead. It doesn't seem to contact well, at some points.
Also, my phone no. is 580-921-5384.
Does this give you clues on what I need to do?
Thanks ahead of time for any help you can give. Do you have any idea how to contact anyone in the company. I bought this from Hobby-Lobby, but they don't seem able to help. I can fax you a copy of the info. I have, if you have a fax machine. Thanks again, Gerald Williams. Hiflyer2
Old 08-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

If I'm reading your post correctly I think you've misunderstood the intructions. You are supposed to set the throttle trim (on the face of the transmitter) in the middle --- neither high trim nor low. It sounds to me like you're setting the EPA range (I'm not sure what HiTech calls it -- but this is the function that adjusts the amount of servo travel) which would account for only getting half throttle as that's all the radio is allowing. Reset it to 100%, put the trim setting on the face of the tx in the center.

Step #4 only applies if you are NOT using BEC. The rx has to get power from somewhere -- the BEC if you are using it or an external source if you are not.

I get confused about switches; in some uses they have to carry power in others they don't. If you're puttting a switch in the red wire between the ESc and the battery it seems to me it has to be able to carry all the current that will flow to the motor. That calls for one BIG switch! I get around it by putting a fuse on the line and mounting it so I can use it like a switch. Sermos/Anderson Power Poles makes a rig for this. Alternatively you could use one of those automotive fuse holders (the flat fuse type, not the round glass type). some people feel they create too much resistance, but I've never been able to detect it for sport flying.

Hope this gets you going. If not get back to me. Use this forum or PM me at [email protected]

Walt
Old 08-26-2005, 12:47 PM
Warden

Yeppur on AI Robotics disappearing in the middle of the night! It's too bad too because I thought that it was a very good conroller. I purchased two of them. One of them died and the other I'm still using. I flew it yesterday as a matter of fact. Anyway, I'm sure I have the directions around here somewhere if you need additional help.

Old 08-30-2005, 12:04 PM
hiflyer2

Warden:

I am following up on some things Walt told me. I took the switch out of the line. I will see if that helps, as it wasn't always connecting correctly. I haven't tried it out yet since then. I have instructions for it, but was unclear on some of it. Walt cleared some of that up. Hiflyer2
Old 08-31-2005, 05:50 AM
Warden

The switch might have been the problem. The only switch I use is the two position switch that's attached directly to the controller. In the first position the radio and servos are powered up. In the second position, the electronic gear AND the motor are powered.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:48 PM
hiflyer2

Warden:

My ESC did not have a switch, but instructions said to put in a toggle switch and fuse in the red wire. I put in a slide switch, but it didn't seem to connect well lately. I took it out, but haven't tried it yet. I am not sure what type or size of fuse to use. Any ideas? Hiflyer2.