Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Cutting BL connecting Wires

Old 09-01-2005, 11:45 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting BL connecting Wires

I KNOW this has been talked about...I searched and couldn't find it...really I did!

Trying to save every bit of weight on a small foamy and was curious if I can cut the esc wires shorter (both sides, from battery and to the motor)
this would save a few grams, and look a little cleaner.....

any guidelines?

Again, if there is already a thread about this that I was too daft to find, a link would be great!

Cheers and Thanks
Exeter
Old 09-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Cutting BL connecting Wires

Normally, the instructions that come with the ESC and/or motor will recommend NOT cutting the wires between the motor and ESC. From what I understand, the issue is in having all three wires the exact same length, so they have the exact same resistance, so the timing isn't thrown off.

Some motors come with leads, some don't. If the lead length in and of itself were critical, that would be a problem. However, as many people can attest, soldering direct to the motor vs. having a 3" lead... They both work with the same ESC. The only logical conclusion is that having the three leads equal in length is more important than the actual length itself.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:53 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the reply....

Hmmm.... guess I can cut out a few inches (making sure that all 3 are the same...) and if it doesn't seem right. solder the pieces back....
Old 09-08-2005, 10:02 AM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Maybe that's why E-Flite ESCs don't have any leads, you plug the motor wires right into the ESC. With that said, I have cut both the motor and ECS leads and soldered them back together so that there is less than an inch betwwen them with no problems.[sm=bananahead.gif]