Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC overheating no reason.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:35 PM
sparkling_fist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC overheating no reason.

ok so i got a new brushless setup so i can finaly fly my dragonfly 36.
i got it to liftoff a couple of times but it was either unable to carry on hovering or crashed..

once i got the brushless motor and esc in.. it worked OK.. hoverd for about 20 secs.. then the blades stoped spinning..
i found out the pinion was loose..
so i stoped flying it untill the new pinion arrived..

yesterday i just wanted to check the electronics of the heli,
made sure the motor ran etc..

everything was Ok untill i touched the esc..
** [:@]HOT[:@] **
i wanted to find out why it was over heating,.. so i let it cool down (cooled down very fast) and connected the battery. but radio was off
it wasnt over heating but when i turned the TX on... it went VERY hot VERY fast,
i thought it might be that.

i let it cool down and left it for the night..
this morning i went to see if there was the same problem so i connected the battery to the esc.. but the esc wasnt connected to anything. It still went hot eventho the tx was off.
i connected it to the rx and it still went hot...

so it goes hot for reasons i cant explain..
there might be a short circuit in the esc but i cant find it.. and u dont get one without doing anything to it..
i have 3 differnet batteries and they all heat the esc. (one is very new and i had only tested it to see if it worked.)

do i need a new esc?
if i do, which ones will work? i dont want a new walkera one, but i want one which can work with the df 36 and the walkera brushless motor
Old 09-14-2005, 02:58 PM
david roberts

Default RE: ESC overheating no reason.

Hello,

Not been on this site for a while..guy at the model shop talked me into buying a Walkera 180L brushless motor, He said it will run direct drive 6x3 or 6x4 prop...it gets mad hot within a minute or so...as does the ESC and the battery. And the battrery's I use which normally run for around 15 minutes are lasting about 3 minutes on half throttle.

Is this motor which is rated at 3200 rpm/kv per volt too high for direct drive does it need gearing ? I don't know what amps the motor is rated at.

Regards Dave Roberts.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:53 AM
jdetray

sparkling_fist-

You left out a key bit of information: Which ESC do you have? What is the brand and model?

Dave-

I am not familiar with your motor, but a 3200 kV motor would normally be used with a smaller prop -- 4 or 5 inches -- or in a gearbox. My guess is that you're overpropped with a 6 inch prop, therefore drawing excessive current and overheating your components. That would also explain the short flight time.

- Jeff
Old 09-15-2005, 04:55 AM
david roberts

Hi

Its a 30 amp ESC I think its a Tower I bought it off ebay its a plug and play as they say it will take burst of 40 amps I've tried it on a airpower 400f brushless outrunner with no problems the smallest prop I have is a Graupner 4.7x4.7 I first tested it with this prop on the bench.....but I can't remeber if I ran it for long enough to see what happened will try again.
Thing is props don't come much smaller than the 4.7x4.7 so if it still over amps? I'll take it back see if I can get my money back I don't want to use a gear box like to keep it light and simple.

Thanks
Old 09-15-2005, 11:59 AM
david roberts

Hi Jeff,

Yeah your right I ran the 4.7x4.7 Graupner prop on the motor (on the bench not in the air) no over heating problems really, the ESC was barely warm and the Battery was warm the motor was very warm to hot be nothing dangerously hot.
The battery duration also improved a lot but still nothing like the duration I get with my 6v brushed motor or for that matter my 400f brushless outrunner which is rated at 15-20 amps and 2250 rpm/kv. Ihave another ESC which is a 18 amp 23 amp burst that wouldn't help any would it?...................think I'll get rid of it too much hassle shame though it's got a lot of power

Dave.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 PM
sparkling_fist

my esc is 30a walkera
the blue one..

Can i use an rc smart esc?