Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

How can I hop up my F-27 stryker without going brushless?

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

How can I hop up my F-27 stryker without going brushless?

Old 09-24-2005, 10:20 AM
XH2OMANN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I hop up my F-27 stryker without going brushless?

Hello yall

I have been flying the F-27 stryker for about a year. I want to hop it up, but I do not want to go to the exspense of brushless. Does anyone know if I can just put a bigger or better can brushed motor in it with out changing everything else? If so what motor is good to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
XH2OMANN
Old 09-24-2005, 08:00 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: How can I hop up my F-27 stryker without going brushless?

To tell you the truth, the stock power system is pretty much maxxed out. There's only one way to get more power from what you've got, and that's to draw more Amps with a hotter motor or bigger prop. Problem with that is, the battery and ESC can't handle the additional load... In essence, a simple cheap motor hop-up would turn into a complete system overhaul anyway, with a new battery, and heavier-duty ESC.

The best way to hop up the F-27 without having to change everything out is a brushless motor and ESC. Because the brushless motor is more efficient, it puts more of the power to the propeller.

...and brushless really isn't that expensive anymore, especially compared to the complete system overhaul you'd have to perform just to run a bigger brushed motor on the F-27...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Matt Kirsch

Brushless ESCs like the Castle Creations Thunderbird 18 and the Great Planes Silver Series 25A are $40 or less. The UltraFly A/30/29 can be used directly in place of the stock Speed 400 motor with the stock prop, and only costs $70.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:52 PM
jdix42

How do you use the stock electronics I mean the reciever, radio and servos with an aftermarket ESC?
isnt the ESC integrated in the reciever ?
The stock servos wont plu into a different reciever will they?
Also can you run a brushless motor on an 8.4v 1100 mah battery pack?
if all i have to change is ESC and motor i may switch soon just cant afford complete radio set up.
Thanks Jeff
Old 09-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Jdix,
Did you water break in your motor and retime it?
Doesn't cost a dime, and you will see a marked increase in performance.
Or find the new B version motor & prop from PZ, It's designed to run off 3 s lipo
You will have to time your flights though as the stock Rx doesn't have a lipo cut off.
Or for a few dollars more you could purchace the new version of the rx also, as it does have the cut off built in, and your servos will plug into it.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Matt Kirsch

Does the F-27 have the integrated radio gear? I wasn't sure.... If so, you'd have to gut it and swap out for a "real" receiver and servos, too...

No problems running a brushless motor with an 8.4V LiPoly. Voltage is what determines your power. More Volts = more power.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:18 AM
jdix42

GG,
i have done the break in and timing advance but havent had the chance to fly since advancing the timing.
Looking forward to it though.
thanks for all your help.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:05 PM
jdix42

GG,
my brothe is flying a stock stryker fo about 5 weeks and he did not tdo the water break in.
Do you think he should do that now even after 5 weeks o is it to late and it wouldnt benefit him any?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Probably wouldn't help now, sorry.[&:]
Old 09-26-2005, 01:21 PM
redgiki

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl
Or find the new B version motor & prop from PZ, It's designed to run off 3 s lipo
You will have to time your flights though as the stock Rx doesn't have a lipo cut off.
The stock Rx from a year ago doesn't have the LiPo cutoff, but the "B"-series stock Rx does (it's identical to the P-51 stock Rx).

I have to contradict one earlier poster: the stock system is nowhere near maxxed out "stock"! You'll completely transform your bird by buying a pair of Dymond LiPos (3S1P 2100mAh, narrow form factor). Fits perfectly in the battery compartment. Use a timer, set it for fifteen minutes, and use it with the new 5.3x3.3 "LiPo Prop" provided with the B-series Strykers. They're $2.99 at any local hobby shop which carries ParkZone stuff.

* Great runtimes of 15-20 minutes
* Nice amp draw at around 9 amps, easily handled by the stock ESC
* Terrific speed for "stock", easily 45-50MPH straight-and-level
* Higher servo responsiveness due to slightly increased voltage (at least it seems that way, it could just be more responsive due to higher speed)
* Effortless thirty-degree climbs forever. Forty-fives will work, but only for the first minute or two of battery.
* Loop from level flight all the way through the battery life
* 10 oz of thrust (bench test at 5000' elevation, should be a little more at sea level)

Unfortunately, if you buy LiPo batteries, you need a LiPo charger. So this upgrade will cost you somewhere around $130-$210 for two rc-dymond.com 2100mAh 3S batteries and a charger. Alas, nothing's really cheap in this hobby it seems. You could go with a smaller pack and commensurately shorter runtimes; I strongly recommend you do the math if you do this without an appropriate cutoff on your RX. For instance, going to a 1500mAh would be like this:
11.1V 3S LiPo @ 1500mAh = 90 amp-minutes
90 amp-minutes / 9 amps of draw = 10 minute full-throttle (6C discharge rate)
So you'd set your timer for 10 minutes. If your motor is damaged, however, it may draw significantly more amps than this, which could destroy your expensive LiPo battery. A multimeter static reading is your best insurance, other than an ESC with an appropriate cutoff.

I recommend the Great Planes Electrifly Triton charger; it retails for $130, but I got mine new for $90. I modded an old PC power supply I had laying around to provide clean 12V DC power, and I always have two packs charged and ready to go for about forty-five minutes of fun at a time (5-minute walk to the local park, fly for 15-20 minutes, land, change batteries, fly again, and I'm pretty much done flying. One more battery pack wouldn't hurt, though!)

Of course, you can buy a whole new Stryker for $180.00...

--
Matt B.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Bullwhip

Redgiki,

I'll second the Triton as an excellent charger for all around use The new Multiplex LN-5014 has many of the Triton's features at a lower price. I replaced an MRC 969 with the LN-5014 connected to the MRC power supply (5 amp). Both chargers work very well on everything from 600 Mah NiCad flight packs to 12 volt lead acid to 3S2100 LiPos.

Bullwhip