Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Power System for a 4 Engine Bomber

Old 09-25-2005, 12:55 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Power System for a 4 Engine Bomber

Hello everyone,
I know I probably should do more research myself but I'll ask here anyway.
I have been flying a alfa model for about 6 months now and really like it. I have a Avro Lancaster kit that I have started but have not bought the engines for it. It calls for 4- 91 Four Stroke engines.
I am looking at about $1000 for all 4, Maybe a little more. I have even pondered over making it a Manchester and going with 2 gas engines.

Does anyone know what would be a good electric set up would be for a plane this size. 132" wing span and they say about 32lbs. I would like to be inexpensive as possible but realiable. and brushless motors. I was pricing a set up through Hobby Lobby and just off the web site I was looking at about $1500 or more... It has almost a flt bottm airfoil on it also..

Thanks in advance Ty
Old 09-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power System for a 4 Engine Bomber

Unfortunately, there's no way to make your $1000 budget... Your least expensive setup will be four AXi 4130/16 motors, four Castle Creations Phoenix 60 controllers, and four 6S Kokam 3200 packs... It's going to run you about $300 per nacelle just for the motors and ESCs, then about $250 per nacelle for the batteries. This setup will easily do 3200 Watts, which is what you'll want for this plane.

In this size, AXi is the least expensive motor to the best of my knowledge. It's not worth even trying to find a brushed alternative; in this size range, the difference in cost isn't all that much, and in fact brushed may be more expensive due to the specialized equipment needed. Big brushless gear is common, but it's tough to find brushed motors and ESCs bigger than Speed 600 size.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:40 PM
fockewulf37
My Feedback: (102)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Power System for a 4 Engine Bomber

Thanks For the help. It just a little too steep for me right now. I would love to do it with the electric power. I even looked into doing it with just 2 engines the 5300 AXI series but still too expensive for me. I wish this stuff would come down in price...

Thanks Ty