Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Electronic noise (glitch)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:22 PM
RK-Aircraft
My Feedback: (81)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic noise (glitch)?

I just converted my H9 Ultra Stick Lite120 to electric. It's fit out like this: APC 16x10 electric prop on an Actro 40-4 brushless outrunner, JETI 77 controller, TANEC 9s2p 4400mah Lipos, Hitec Electron6 rx on a Deans "JetJock" antenna w/6v/1300mah NiMh bat. on switch harness, Hitec 645MG servos all around. Other mods include a TT trainer cowl from Stans FiberTech to protect the motor from dust and debris, CF landing gear from GraphTechRC.com, Dave Brown lite 4" wheels. I also opened a hole in the underside of what used to be the fuel tank compartment behind the fire wall. I used a plastic scoop and cut off the spade and glued it under the hole to drive air into the battery compartment. Well, the damn thing is faster than a jet and vertical is unlimited out-of-sight in a high rates, full throw roll. This thing is a fire breathing dragon that will out run ANY stick on glow power thats out there.

I give you all these details to determine what is causing a glitch in the electronics that is causing the control surfaces to twitch in flight. I did a range check and went out about 50 feet and it was OK. 100 feet and the motor started full throttle, the control surfaces went nuts and the Stick spiraled around until it nosed down and stripped off the blades. Need less to say that the Stick is in the hangar and grounded until further notice.
I checked: no metal to metal contact, no metal washers on screws, no loose connections, the ESC is over 15" away from the rx., etc. This would not explain the motor start. (no vibration to cause movement).
Could the metal gears in the servos be at fault? Faulty ESC? The JETI does not use a BEC so the rx is on a separate battery. Anyones thoughts are welcome.... []
Old 09-28-2005, 09:49 AM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Electronic noise (glitch)?

Sounds like its the receiver picking up stray signals, do you access to another receiver to try in it? Good luck.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:32 PM
mpope1

I am having a similar glitching problem in a gas to electric conversion also. I have the modelech se-5a bibe with a hacker a30-10xl. Hacker x-40 controller but I am using a seperate ubec instead of a rx batt. pack. I am running 2 4s 2p packs in parallell. A lot of glitching but only at half throttle. Motor also cuts in and out but again only at half throttle. I am gonna try a different reciever cause I have basically tried everything else. Plane flies well but I did notice some slight reactions in the air from the glitching. I let you know if the reciever change works.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:24 AM
flyranger

You are dealing with a lot of current in a small area. Try to locate the receiver as far away from the ESC as possible. The ESC is a leading culprit in generating EMF that bothers the receiver. It is generating a varying DC (read that as AC) output to drive the brushless (read that as AC) motor and induced voltage may be your problem. Route the receiver antenna wire so it does not cross the ESC leads or, if it has to, crosses them at a 90 degree angle. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2005, 05:16 PM
mpope1

I just realized that hacker sells there a30 motors, such as the a30-12xl with there x40 speed control as a combo. The motor can handle 3-5 cell lipos, but the controller can only handle 2-3 cell lipos. Im wondering if thats why I am getting glitching, I run 4s2p packs. It seems I would get the glitching problem at full throttle not half. The controller doesn't even get that hot. I am converting a Funtana 40 with the same set up, so I guess I will see if the same thing happens.