Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

HELP!!! ESC cut out when flying wider wing, battery discharge now at 10C...

Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

HELP!!! ESC cut out when flying wider wing, battery discharge now at 10C...

Old 10-01-2005, 09:01 PM
xray328
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! ESC cut out when flying wider wing, battery discharge now at 10C...

What gives? My ESC is cutting out when I fly my Magpie with the 54" AP wing. Everything is fine with the sport aileron wing and the standard training wing. EVERY time I fly the 54" wing I lose all power and crash. I'm using the BP-12 brushless outrunner with a CC Thunderbird 18 ESC, a Dymond 10C 3 cell lipo pack and an 8x4 prop.

Prior to today I had a cheap GWS 6C 3 cell lipo. It was suggested that the 6C was the problem and that I should get a 10C pack. So I got a Dymond 3 Cell 10C 2000 mah pack. I toss on the 54" wing and off it goes. I was at 1/2 throttle at probably 150 feet a couple minutes into the flight and I lose all power, spiraling down and nose diving into the ground with that gut wrenching thud. To the Magpies credit it only broke the rubber bands and buried the outrunner (BP-12) a bit while tossing the lipo pack (which remained plugged in). Actually, that was the scariest part, I kept waiting for the pack to start bubbling but it never did. From a distance all I could see was the plane in two pieces but it turned out that the wing was the second piece.

So whats the deal here? Why does the 54" wing cause this to happen? I have nothing while its spinning toward the ground but when I retrieve it everything works.

Theres no way I'm gonna try AP until I get this worked out.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:25 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HELP!!! ESC cut out when flying wider wing, battery discharge now at 10C...

Did you check how many amps you are pulling? Your ESC may have saved you $50 in a cooked battery.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:36 PM
xray328

Default RE: HELP!!! ESC cut out when flying wider wing, battery discharge now at 10C...

I don't have a meter. I know theres alot of variables here but according to the balsa products web site my current setup shouldn't pull more than 10A. Will nine more inches of wing increase the amperage load? Does the CC Thunderbird 18 have a thernal cutoff or something that would kick in to prevent it from overloading? The ESC itself is very cool after the crashes and works fine. If I exceeded the max amps for the ESC wouldn't the ESC just fry?
Old 10-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

xray328,

You should not lose ALL power if the low-voltage cutoff kicks in. The plane should still remain controllable, especially with the 54" (extra wide?) wing, allowing you to safely glide in for a landing. I think you have an interference problem.

Does this wing have an aileron servo or two? Each wing has its own servo(s)? I would put money on there being a problem with one of the servos, and that servo causing interference that makes you crash.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:48 PM
xray328

Actually theres no servos on the wing. Its a 3 channel AP platform. So it just has two servos one one the rudder and one on the elevator. The plane has the option of 3 different wings. It has the 54" AP wing with no servos, a 46" trainer wing also with no servos, and a sport wing with one servo for two ailerons. The 46" and sport wing both fly fine. The 54" wing, again, with no servos, causes the plane to crash. It results in a total power loss when usually the rudder goes full over cuasing the plane to spiral into the ground. The last time it happened I was flying into a mild wind (7-8 mph) and basically sitting still in the wind at 1/2 throttle on a 9.6V battery (versus the 11.1 I usually run). I wasn't turning or climbing (which would require the use of the servos) and it just rolled left and spiraled to a crash. I picked it up and everything was fine.