Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Multiple ESCs - one receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 11:33 AM
rogerswin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple ESCs - one receiver?

I've been searching for a factual answer pertaining to multiple parallel connection of brushless ESCs to the receiver throttle input. What I'm wondering is,... If four non-BEC ESCs for four brushless motors (with their own power packs) can be parallel wired to a single receiver, or will the receiver signal strength become degraded to the point where this is not possible?

I'm also going to ask this over at wattflyer.com

Thanks for any replys,
Roger
Old 11-23-2005, 12:50 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Multiple ESCs - one receiver?

Roger:

I am jummping in here just to be sure to get your answer. Interesting question. Don't know if I would do it even if possible. Thanks Roger Menke
Old 11-24-2005, 11:39 AM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

It might be a problem if one tries to have one ESC for 4 motors. Because each ESC has it's own power supply, and each "set" is connected in parallel / series with 3 sets of wyes (one wye connection for two motor/ESC "sets" connected to another 2 motor/ 2 ESC wyed set, which, in turn, is connected to the receiver) loss of signal strength is not an issue. Someone else may have different empirical results.

Y Y
Y
R

However, it may be reasonable to have two receivers for each "pair" in case of an engine failure, and you can more easily be able to control the resulting thrust differential.

For my twin A-6E (later an EA-6B), I will use a single receiver for the two 2 motor / 2 ESC application. I may consider separate receivers for an EKA-3B application.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:44 AM
jooNorway

It is in fact a question of impedance. If the output impedance from the receiver is low and the input impedance at the ESC`s is high there should be no problem since the pulses won`t be overloaded. Maybe you can find someone who can let you borrow an oscilloscope to check the pulse-level from the receiver on your throttle-channel, add one ESC, check level, add one more ESC in parallell, chech level, add two more ESC`s and check level. If the pulse (voltage)-level don`t drop significant then you can run them in parallell...
Alternatively you can buy a quality radio (like MPX Profi) and discover the advantage of really free programming also of the receiver channels. Just give your receiver 4 throttle-channels outputs and this is solved. And the most of other "problems" configuring any odd setups.

Might sound like advertising, but I`m just an ordinary RC-addict who have discovered the advantages of having the true free programming abilities when using MPX Profi And then I mean ability for totally free assigning of what ever I want to do. Profi is propably not too common in US, the EVO is designed for your market. I don`t know EVO since I have used Profi for 17 years and won`t change. The TX is your most important tool, and I hate to change what works for me. Always know where my functions are assigned...
Old 11-30-2005, 08:02 AM
kingtut49
My Feedback: (3)

I have two twins. The first is a JR Models B-25 twin which was sold by Hobby Lobby. It has a 1360mm Wing span and 1030 mm length. I used two Axi 2808-24 outrunners and two E-Flite 40Amp ESC wired in parrallel. I have two Kokam 2000Mah 3-cell batteries in parrallel. You must wire these in parrallel so the ESC will both see the same voltage and tha same voltage drop as you fly. Alternative is to use one higher Mah 3-cell battery. i use two as I can use these batteries in many other of my single engine planes. I used a Cheap Hi-Tec 4 channel radio and Hi-Tec 555 receiver. Throttle control was flawless and take off was less than 20 feet.
The other twin is a GWS A-10 with two Feigao 120 series ducted fan motors and EDF50 fan units with 2030 5 blade props. I tried two Thunderbird 9 ESC which did not work with the same setup. Then I found that these have been recalled by Castle Creations. I Emailed them and found that you need their Phoenix series to run twins. I had already ordered BP 10 Amp ESC from Balsa Products to go with the Feigaos. I expect them to arrive any day and will post my results. Certainly under $20 for a speed control is better than $60...if it works. If not I may try the two Phoenix or order two Eflite ESC which will be cheaper and I know they will work without any special adjustments like Castle says that you need with their Phoenix series.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:36 PM
kingtut49
My Feedback: (3)

Success!!! The two cheap BP 10AMP brushless ESC worked without a glitch in parrallell. I have a GWS A-10 and got fair to poor flights from the stock EDF-55s. I researched and decided to put in Feigao 1208428L motors and changed the props to two 2030-5 fans. I used two BP 10 Amp brushless speed controls from Balsa Products. The total power package for both motors and both speed controls was about $95. I use a MaxAmps 1500 Amp 3 cell. It flew like a champ. The current draw is 13.3 amps combined for both motors. Loops from level were no problem and rolls were great. I flew for 10 plus minutes and had plenty of reserve left. It flew better than scale but if you want vertical performance this is not the right combo. However the cost is very attainable by most. Several of my flying buddies want the same set up especially considering the cost. Oh yea this was all done in a snow storm so I did actually get icing on the wings...yep real ice..wow! I bet that on a good day a get more power as I would not be flying into snow or wind. Mark
Old 12-22-2005, 05:18 PM
RodgerPM

Tut if I read right about those ESC's then they are automatic in their voltage sensings. I had issues on mine appartently only using one speeed controller when the ESC's were wired in parallel using a Y harness. Each ESC had it's own Lipo's. Anythoughts as to what I may have3 had wrong?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:16 PM
carlrich

King tut, when you put the escs in parallel to the receiver, did you cut one of the red wires from one of the escs so only one esc was powering the receiver? Most everyone suggests this and I am currently setting up a twin and plan to use two cheap Tower Pro 25 escs. Problem may come from them each only putting out 1.5A to power the servos and supposedly this isn't enough to power 4 servos.
????? any thoughts?

Carl
Old 10-06-2006, 08:52 PM
electro-jet

I am also starting a twin electric project. I have two GWS inrunner brushless motors. They will draw about 10A each. If I use two ESC, how best to wire them into the receiver. One suggest I heard was to connect them into different channels and then mix the two channels together. Any comments on this?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:16 PM
carlrich

I now have several twin brushless motor set ups. On each I have a seperate esc for each motor. They are paralleled together using a Y servo wire and that is placed in the throttle port. On one of the escs I have disconnected the red wire before connecting it to the wire harness. Thus only one esc powers the receiver and servos. Works fine on each of my planes with many flights. Good luck!

Carl