Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

motor application advice???

Old 11-28-2005, 09:00 PM
plasticmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor application advice???

I have a 3D type foamie powered by an Esskay 400XT turning an APC 10x3.8 with a Great Planes BL-8 ESC and 11.1V Lipo. The total flying weight is 11 ounces. This setup really performs well and yanks the plane out of a hover like a rocket. Here is my question. How large of an airplane could I put this power system on (ie. weight, wing area)? I'm looking for a stick type plane for just cruising around. I want it to have plenty of power, but I'm not trying to hover or do anything extreme with it. I'd like to use these components that I already have, except for maybe changing the prop if necessary. Also, could this power system work on a fast electric plane with the right prop?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:21 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: motor application advice???

The Esskay 400 is supposedly "equivalent" in power output to a geared Speed 400 motor. I would probably put a weight cap of around 16-18oz on a sport plane, maybe 20oz on a sailplane.

Because this is a relatively low-RPM motor, it needs high-pitch props to achieve higher speeds. Reduce diameter and increase pitch to keep the load on the motor within specs. Even with the highest available pitches, it'll still be fairly slow, though.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:51 PM
plasticmaster

Default RE: motor application advice???

What other prop sizes would keep this motor within specs with my 11.1V Lipo and BL-8 ESC?