Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC Problem ??????

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 AM
voodoodb
My Feedback: (98)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ESC Problem ??????

Just received a electric glider. The power system is a 380 brushed motor, 20A ESC, 6.5x4 folding prop, 8.4v 1000mah NiMh battery pack. Problem is that when hooked up and advance throttle, engine runs for only a few seconds, then recycle throttle and motor runs again. It will do this and gradually the run times get longer until the motor will run for a min or so , then have to recycle throttle. You can keep doing this until it runs the battery completely down. Does this sound like a ESC problem? The kit came from China.

Thanks
Doug
Old 12-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ESC Problem ??????

sounds more like a battery problem. did you cycle the flight pack at least three times before running it? You don't say whether the motor gets to full power on the longer runs. My guess is that at full charge the motor is pulling the battery down to voltage cut off. As the pack drains down the motor draws less amperage and so runs a bit longer.
Walt
Old 12-11-2005, 05:49 PM
voodoodb

Yes walt it gets to full power, even on the couple of seconds run it will get to full power before cutoff. I thought of this same thing, but with a fully charged battery any throttle setting from idle to full will get cutoff within a few seconds. Not only at full throttle.

Doug
Old 12-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was afraid my analysis was too easy. Something, somewhere is exceeding a limit. Can you switch out the esc and see if the problem repeats?
Walt
Old 12-12-2005, 01:59 AM
voodoodb

Thanks Walt. I did try another ESC I had. It ran as soon as I hooked the battery to it with no throttle response. Ran at full bore. I have a brushless Hacker B20 that I was going to try. Do you happen to know how it would do with a 1000mah 8.4v battery and a 6.5x4 prop?

Thanks
Doug