Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

do brushless motors wear out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 02:43 PM
gottabfordtough

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do brushless motors wear out?

i have been seeing some brushless motors on ebay, used. and im wondering could they be worn out. i mean, i hear people saying brushless motors dont have brushes and dont wear out. but, eventually the motor would have to loose a little power right? can they last for ever?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:48 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: do brushless motors wear out?

they can wear out...if they have been over amped, over heated, etc. etc.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:59 PM
gottabfordtough

so buying one used your still taking a chance. thanks

if you run one with in it's recomended operating perimeters, right volts, let it cool down, ect. will it ever wear out?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:55 PM
blueline
My Feedback: (6)

Well Gotta, you are correct if the motor has been run within specs, amperage and voltage the only other moving parts in non-gearbox setup are the sealed bearings which can be replaced if you have access to a press/drillpress or the like to push them out. However, it should be noted the some bearings can last a lifetime while others may not. So, if I'm getting the right vibe from you, should you stay away from used motors. As long as you consider the source i.e. reputable dealer, private party, etc you should be good to go. Good luck and be well.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:14 PM
enrique1123

I've been running brushless motors for a while and the only thing I've ever had to do is replace the bearings on my older motors. have an Axi and a Mega that needed new bearings because I started to hear a bit of noise but other than that no noticeable performance loss. I have lost only one brushless motor the whole time I've been flying, a Cermark 840 on my Little Banchee, I crashed so hard that I broke the shaft and I haven't ordered a new shaft. I have tried it and it still runs but I haven't done any performance tests.