Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

How to break-in brand new motors?

Old 12-25-2005, 02:24 PM
JeremySutton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to break-in brand new motors?

I need guidance. I have never broken a motor-in before. I have three non brushless motors (I think they are non-brushless)...

- - - - MOTOR #1 - - - -
POT 03B motor for my Potensky Eagle.

This is my motor (see picture):
http://www.potensky.cz/potensky-cesk...y-pot-03-b.htm

The speed control and dean's connector is pre-soldered to the motor. It also comes with the gear drive assembled to the motor. I understand that water break-in is the best. But since I have every thing presoldered to the motor, how should I handle that while under distilled water? Un-solder it, attach 3rd party wires and plug into a a "D" or "C" cell battery and run the motor until batt is out of juice and water jets clowdy?

- - - - MOTOR #2 - - - -
280 motor sold with the Split 280 Racer "Boink!" (see picture):
http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4004

Do I break in the motor the same as above?

- - - - MOTOR #3 - - - -
SPEED 300 PLUS 7.2V motor control. This one is a tough challenge, because the speed control is soldered onto the motor back. It's for a Graupner Mini Piper (see picture):

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/minipiper.htm

Because of how the speed control mounts to the actual motor I suspect that I should not submerge in it water, correct? What is the best break-in method?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Jeremy

Old 12-25-2005, 05:13 PM
Bevo

Default RE: How to break-in brand new motors?

If your motors are brushed motors you can break them in two different ways.

1. Under water break in. Fill a glass full of water and connect a battery to your motor and put it down into the water. Now the battery you use should be half as many cells as what you will use on your plane. Example break your motor in on 4 cells if you are planning to use an 8 cell pack. You keep the motor in the water for about 30 seconds to a minute. The water will become clouded because of the oils and the junk that is left on the motor when made. Let the motor dry out and you can use a heat gun to help this process. No propeller used.

2. Dry break in. Strap the motor down to a pair of pies or something and break the motor in on half as many cells as what you will use on your plane. You can do this for 1 to 2 minutes. No propeller used.

The point of breaking motors in is to help seat the brushes. By running the motor the brushes will take the shape of the commutator and the motor will run stronger and faster. This is achieved by either method.

If your motors are brushed they will have a positive and a negative wire. Brushless motors have three wires.

Bevo
Old 12-26-2005, 08:53 PM
JeremySutton

Thank you Bevo.

The motors are all brushed.

I have three more (specific questions) regarding Motor #1 with the speed control/BEC, deans connector, and the gear box mounted to it:

1) Do I need to remove the gear drive for the break-in (water or waterless)?
2) I plan to use a 7-cell NiMH 720 Mah battery and would like to avoid buying a 3 or 4 cell batt for break-in purposes. Is it possible to use one or two standard D cell batteries for the break-in?
3) Do I need to disconnect the BEC/speed control wires? Or can I just use two alternative wires over the top of the BEC wires and put 98% of the motor in the distilled water and keep the wires dry?

And finally, should I open the motor us and apply some oil (W-D or bike greese) to the brushes after the motor? dries out?

Thanks in advance for your advice,

Jeremy
Old 12-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Bevo

1) Yes, remove gear box
2) Sure that would work
3) Don't use the speedcontrol. Connect the battery directly to the motor with wires.
4) I wouldn't open the motor up. The brushes will be fine. It's not a bad idea to oil up the bearings or the brass bushings that hold the shaft in place. There's one in the front and rear. Racer's Edge makes oil for bushings and bearings you can buy that a hobby store. Or you can go to checker or auto zone and buy it there.

Bevo