Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

BP 60A brushls ESC / Feigo ESC Fried???

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:48 PM
carlrich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BP 60A brushls ESC / Feigo ESC Fried???

I just bought and was testing a new BP (balsa products) 60A brushless ESC. I believe it is a Feigo ESC (because they told me it was). It states it will work with 2 to 5 cell lipo. I had it hooked up as a 2 and 3 cell with the BEC and it worked fine. I disconnected the red wire thus disconnecting the BEC on the ESC and substituted an Ultimate BEC for the power source (per the diagram). On a 4 cell it worked fine. I was only testing for like 5 seconds to see wattage output as I know better than to static test due to heat build up. I put the 5 cell on and just as I eased the throttle off the bottom immediately the smoke was released from inside by brand new esc!!!
Any ideas as to why?????
I did not bother to set the voltage cut off for a 5 cell as I was watching the watt meter to make sure the volts didn't drop below 15V. It never had the chance.
I was powering a BP 3520-7 outrunner which is basically identical to the E-flite 46. capable of 800w.
I can't imagine that over 60A hit this ESC as I was lifting off the throttle.

Any recommendations of a replacement ESC? one that recognizes I have connected 3, 4, or 5 cells but doesn't break say $100. Maybe a phoenix 45?

Carl