Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Phoenix 25 speed control problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 05:31 PM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix 25 speed control problems

I had a Pheonix 25 speed control go bad a month ago, and received a new one from Castle Creations. What is was doing was at full throttle the control surfaces would go to full extreme control throws. It would only happen at full throttle, and say around 2/3 throttle or less, it would work fine. Fully charged pack changed nothing. I flew it on the foamy for about 8 months and say 150 flights without issue. Like I stated before, I received a new one from Castle. I just flew my foamy today, and the spare Phoenix 25, not the new one, started doing the same thing. This one only has about 50 flights on it. Anybody out there know something about this? Is there a life limit to these speed controls? Using a Hi-Max brushless motor, with 6.6-1 gear reduction, 10 tooth pinion, 1200 lipoly pack, and JR 610UL receiver. Any help appreciated. Scott
Old 01-19-2006, 05:47 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Phoenix 25 speed control problems

how many servos and which ones....?

sounds like you may be over drawing the BEC
Old 01-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Glacier Girl

Ditto what exeter said.
I looked up their info .
10 cell max(12 volts) with 3 micro or 2 high torque servos.
If you're running a 3 s lipo pack you are right at the voltage limits for the built in bec.
And if you are running 4 micro servos, you're over the limits.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:05 PM
jsm77777

I am running 4 Hi-tech HS-55 servo's. If I am overdrawing the speed control, why didn't Castle Creations tell me that when I sent it in? When I sent the first one is for repair, I had to tell them my set-up, and they never mentioned overdrawing the unit. If so, what should I be using? Scott
Old 01-20-2006, 08:16 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

many people "use" 4 servos (me included) but it is technically more than the 25 can handle....

might need either the 35 or a seperate BEC like the Medusa
Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 AM
jsm77777

One final thought, why is the speed control recommended, like in my Mini Funtana which is ready to fly, and it uses 4 servo's? I tried the foamy this morning, and it seems to work fine now. I am guessing the BEC is getting overheated/worked, and then goes off. Does the battery quality affect the BEC? I have noticed my batteries are not taking the charge they used to, and wonder if they are delivering full power. Is it possible, if the Lipoly batteries are going bad, that when full power is needed, that not enough is available, and the BEC cuts out? I thought that was what the voltage cutoff would do, but maybe not? I also flew this plane for 7 or so months without issue, so I am wondering if my problems are battery related. Any other help/ideas? Scott
Old 01-20-2006, 12:27 PM
jooNorway

No, when the battery voltage drops (as on WOT) the BEC works better! Higher voltage means less capability to deliver current for your servoes.
I have to admit I myself have run a setup using 6 servoes on the BEC on a CC35... It worked, but is far from recommended. Did testflights on this, before I upgraded from 3S to 4S LiPo and added a KoolFlight UBEC...
Old 01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
twinturbostang

How much current does a naro/micro servo typically use during flight? I have a Phoenix 25 also, and I've hooked it up through my watt meter on the bench. Amp draw was negligeable, and even when deflecting the servos it was still very little (50maH maybe?). But I'm wondering if when in the air, there's a lot more amp draw on the servos due to wind resistance battling the servo motion. The Phoenix 25 is good for 1.5A BEC, and actually I think the brand new ones are good for 3A.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:04 PM
tkilwein

I do not know if this your issue,

I connected a scope up to my CC25,45,60 controllers and run them up.
With this I found the brushless motor controller section backfeeds noise into the receiver power somehow.
I have not diagnosed why at this time, I just use a separate battery for the receiver/servos.
It get so bad the 5.0v goes to 3.2v for milliseconds of time, with this my receiver/servos lack correct
power and do bad things. If I do not go to full power no problems as the noise / voltage drop is not enough
to cause problems. This happens to varing degrees on my 6 CCxx controllers.
The filtering caps in the receiver and servos help filter some of this out, but does not eliminate it on my units.
I did not fly one plane for a very long time due to trying to find out what was going on until I connected a scope up.

I now run a separate receiver battery on my higher power demanding planes.
I do this by removing the red power pin out of the plug that feeds the receiver and heatshrinking it up,
then power the receiver using a unused servo slot.

With this all said I still like my CC controllers and the USB link.

Tony