Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

run a brushed motor with a brushless esc

Old 01-21-2006, 06:16 PM
triggerhappy13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default run a brushed motor with a brushless esc

i am new to electrics and i was wondering if it would work to run a brushed motor with a brushless esc. and why do brushless motors need 3 wires?

Thanks Greg
Old 01-21-2006, 08:10 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: run a brushed motor with a brushless esc

Greg there are lots of discussion threads that could help you out on dedicated e-power sites (I'd recommend "Wattflyer" and it's power systems forum), but I'll take a shot at it from a flier's, not an engineer's perspective. First off NO you cannnot interchange brushed and brushless equipment. In a brushed motor the brushes and the commutator do the necessary electrical (magnetic) switching (commutating) to make the shaft rotate. In brushless motors the ESC does the switching or commutating electronically (rather than mechanically as does a brushed motor). Please bear in mind that I'm not an engineer, so I'll probably not get it just right, but a brushless motor needs three wires so that the ESC can switch them back and forth between positive and negative to do the commutating which makes the shaft turn. That's why you can simply switch any two wires in a brushless to change the motor direction.
Hope this helps,
Walt
PS welcome to the wonderful world of e-power
Old 01-23-2006, 10:24 AM
ron_van_sommeren

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: run a brushed motor with a brushless esc

I posted some brushless motor animations and simulations in this thread, very instructive:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1558046/tm.htm