Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushed motor sizes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:06 PM
duaneh1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed motor sizes

Can anyone tell me the difference between a speed vs. non-speed motor. For example a "speed 480 motor" vs. "480" motor. Also I have a Blade CP and about to buy a Stryker. They come with cheap can motors, are there motors in those sizes that have ball bearings, replacable brushes, and adjustable timing for better performance. If I want to upgrade these motors with better BRUSHED motors, what should I be looking for? I'm not interested in brushless yet.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Bevo

Default RE: Brushed motor sizes

The Astro Flight Cobalt is a good 480 brushed motor that is better then the stock 480 motors. I don't think there is any different been a speed 480 and a 480 motor except where they are made. The motor that comes on the Stryker is a good motor. Better then some of the others I've seen. With a 3 cell 2100 that 480 performance awesome. Great power.

Bevo
Old 01-27-2006, 01:41 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a Speed 480 over a plain 480 is like washing your car. It just makes you think it runs better. They are the same thing.

When a motor like a Speed 300, Speed 400, or Speed 480 is mentioned, the only thing that you can really count on is the size and the approximate weight of it. There are variations in the motors that change their performance with different battery voltage. Some are designed to spin faster with less voltage. As far as I know, all the small can motors can be retimed. Some have ball bearing options. Replaceable brushes, not sure, but I don't think so. You have to go to the car motors for that.

If you are looking for a Ball Bearing 480, Graupner sells one. According to a catalogue I have, they are about $45. A speed control for it will likely run you at least $30, so when all is said and done, unless you have a love affair with brushed motors, brushless motors might be a better option.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:50 AM
duaneh1

Thanks, I guess that means the stock esc can't handle the amps of a performance motor. I guess in that case I might as well go brushless. This stuff is a pain, I used to race 1/10 scale electric buggies and with a decent tekin or novak speed control, you didn't have to worry when bolting on hot modified motors. Does anybody know where I can get amp ratings for the Parkzone speed controls?
Old 02-21-2006, 05:32 AM
Gryphon

With a 3 cell Lipoly, and 6X4 prop, the original 480 motor draws 15 Amps, and performs great using the original ESC that comes in the Park zone stryker. I fly full throttle at all times with my 2100 mah lipo.

I found a 480 from Graupner #6304L (L stands for left hand, meaning reverse rotation) to use in the stryker. www.hobby-lobby.com $22. he gets 2000 RPMs more depending on the prop.
It has replacable brushes too, but no timing adjustment. Great motor......
My friend bought it and has been using it successfully with a 3 cell Lipoly, 6X4 APC prop and the original ESC that comes with his stryker. He draws 20 APMs, and has been using the full throttle on a part time basis. his plane performs beautiful, faster and also climbs way better than stock.
This motor is just a little heavier than stock, 100grams, vs 92 grams.
It is also .050" thicker than stock, so the motor mount will need to be modified by removing the motor mount loop that is furthest from the prop, then putting a slit accross the top of the loop closest to the prop, so it can open and fit the motor inside, the 2 motor mounting screws will line up. Secure the other side of the motor with a zip tie, either zip it under the motor mount or put a little slot in the rib of the mount and run the zip through it. since that side of the mount is a little above the rib now, fill in that gap with a portion of the loop that you cut off earlier.
If you run the zip tie under the mount instead of through the rib, then you will need to cut a slot in the top of the body to clearance it for the zip tie.

This last weekend his Stryker ESC fried, but that was his fault. he had changed his ESC cover and he put one on from the first stryker (non "B" )(the first one's had no openings for cooling). So with no cooling he over heated and burned the ESC, He had to wait till the battery ran out due to motor being stuck wide open because of the ESC. Also his 1800 mah(10-12C cont) battery had ballooned due to full throttle non stop for sooo long(it was too light/too cheap anyway). Use 2100 mah cells.
Make sure to put cooling holes and slots in the cover of the ESC and the cover of the battery too.

***Even if you make no changes, do one thing, to avoid destroying the body and have the motr mount area rip out in a crash: use strapping tape accross the bottom of the motor mount under and above the body. That will help save the body during the crashes, new body is only $19, but only when you have too. We use it on the leading edges and also on top and bottom of the hindges when we assemble new bodies.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Mayday!Mayday!

The 480 on the Stryker can also be retimed. I retimed the one on my stock and also did a water break-in.
If you haven't flown the stryker before, I think you may be impressed with it on a lipo.
It's as fast as some of the the lower kv brushless motors.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:28 PM
Gryphon

BgCatfish1 , you said: "The 480 on the Stryker can also be retimed."

How do you do that, I don't think there are any conventional screws to loosen for rotating the end bell.

I am very interested in learning how, please describe in detail (if you have some time).

Thank you

Gryphon