Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

IPS power system, could it handle 3 lipos?

Old 01-27-2006, 11:03 PM
barelias

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IPS power system, could it handle 3 lipos?

I bought an IPS power system , the add says: GWS IPS POWER SYSTEM THAT HAS A GEAR BOX. IT SWINGS UP TO A 10.47 PROP. GREAT FOR THE FOAMIES THAT IS FLOODING THE MARKET TODAY.A 7 OR 8 CELL NIMH OR NICAD OR A 2 TO 3 CELL LIPO PACKS WORKS WELL WITH THIS POWER SYSTEM.
the only difference i see between it and the ips i use for my pico tiger moth is it says ips power system A on it. mine had letter S on it.
is it true it can handle 8 cells or 3 lipos,and prop 10.47?
Old 01-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Bevo

Default RE: IPS power system, could it handle 3 lipos?

Normally you should run the 2 cell lipo on the IPS motors. You could run a 3 cell but you will probably burn the motor up in a few flights. The 7 or 8 cell Nicd and Nimh will work fine.

Bevo
Old 01-28-2006, 02:01 AM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at this link, you'll see that the highest voltage GWS recommends for that motor is 8.4V. You'll get results as stated above.

http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...system/ips.htm
Old 01-29-2006, 02:01 PM
jdetray

Actually, lots of people successfully fly IPS motors on 3S lipos. The key is to choose a gear ratio and prop that keeps the amps down.

[link=http://www.google.com/custom?q=Deaninmilwaukee+ips+%223s%22&sa=Google+Search&cof=AH%3Aleft%3BLH%3A72%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fstatic. rcgroups.com%2Fforums%2Fimages%2Frcgroups_logo.jpg %3BLW%3A203%3BAWFID%3A1e8162890817fdb8%3B&domains=www.rcgroups.com&safe=strict&sitesearch=www.rcgroups.com]Click here for a Google search[/link] with lots of links to this very subject.

- Jeff
Old 01-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Time Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,

It has always been my understanding that the smaller can motors can't handle the high speeds at which they turn, regardless of the amp draw.

What kind of life do people get out of these IPS systems on 11V?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:58 PM
jdetray

Look in the other forum for posts by "DeaninMilwaukee" who seems to be the expert on running the IPS on 3S lipo. He reports getting 15-20 hours from the motors. He uses heat sinks on the motors, of course.

- Jeff