Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Goldberg Eagle 400 motor/battery?

Old 03-01-2006, 05:15 PM
Navy Flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Eagle 400 motor/battery?

Am a glow flyer and I won an Eagle 400 at an IMAA meet. Excellent opportunity to try electric aircraft. In assembling the aircraft I consulted with another member who has a Tiger 400. After discussions with him I question that the included 400 motor and recommended 7 cell 650 NiMH battery is enough power. If not, will going to an 8 or 9 cell NiMH battery do the job or do I need to upgrade the motor also? Basically, do I need to upgrade one or the other or maybe both? In searching the forum I note that many are using an 8x5E prop. Is the included 9x5 to much for the motor to swing? Lastly, not really interested in getting into the Li-Po area at this time.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:05 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Eagle 400 motor/battery?

Whether you realize it or not, you're well on your way to becoming an electric expert. Yes indeed, a battery with more cells (higher voltage) will improve power, and quite frankly, I wouldn't run any fewer than 8 cells. 9 might shorten the life of your motor drastically, but that's okay because brushless motors and ESCs are getting downright cheap these days.

With something like an Eagle 400, you probably don't need brushless right away, and you certainly don't need LiPoly. This is a cruising plane, not an aerobatic or 3D rocket ship, and cruising doesn't require a whole lot of power.