Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Is my ESC toasted?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 05:51 PM
Hagar69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my ESC toasted?

Have a new cheap 30A BL ESC from www.aero-nuts.com. This is a programmable ESC and it should handle up to 5S lipo (BEC disabled if more than 3S lipo).
Today I tried the ESC for the first time in my Stryker with a 4S lipo. BP21 motor, which probably is not supposed to live long with a 4S lipo. When I powered on things seemed normal, but as soon as I gave it some throttle it short circuited. Motor did not move, smoke came out of deans ultra connector and ESC[:'(]. Throttled back immedeately, it stopped smoking then and there was power for RX and servos. Disconnected batt very quickly. Batt seems to be fine.

Tried 3S lipo, now motor moves but jerking. Then tried 9 cell NIMH, small beep from ESC and then dead, no power to RX either. Same with 4S lipo.
Tried 3S lipo, works as before, still jerking.
Finally tried 7cell NIMH, now everything runs smooth but much too slow of course.

So what could be wrong? Have used same motor before with 18A ESC (non programmable) from same supplier. Worked perfectly with both 3S lipo and 9 cell NIMH.
I have never used this ESC before and did not program it before starting, perhaps programming should be first step?

Manual is here: http://photo.aero-nuts.com/BLC30A%20Manual.pdf

What are normal values for timing and PWM?

Is it likely that the ESC got toasted by the high voltage from 4S pack? I can understand that something is broken since it emitted smoke, but since it works with less voltage I wonder if this could be a programming issue or something else?

Hagar

Old 04-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is my ESC toasted?

I'm afraid I'm going to have to confirm your suspicions that the ESC is toast. Smoke is a sure sign of signifigant damage, which most mere mortals like us cannot hope to diagnose and repair. You'd need the schematics, a college degree in electronics, and an uncannily steady hand with a soldering iron to change out the surface-mount components... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

As far as what happened... Hard to say. It could've been incorrect settings... It could've been that the ESC was just plain faulty.

Timing and PWM are settings that depend on the motor you're running. High frequency and advanced timing are settings suitable for outrunners.