Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

small ESC, motors and servos

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:15 AM
britaxcooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small ESC, motors and servos

Hey all, im building the west wings pinto kit,

Im over the pond in the UK so im not sure ill be able to get what you guys can, i will be trying to get the stuff of ebay though seems a better selection!

all of the stuff is micro/mini (whatever the smaller equipment is called)

aileron sevo 2 x 6gms each
elevator 1 x 9grms
reciever - 19grms
Speed controller 14gms

Servo wise i have nothing to look for but weight and that theyre the correct size? same goes for the reciever?

Now the bit i dont understand is motors, i have a ripmax 400 motor for it but after ive got used to the plane id like to use a "480 cobalt" one, this is what it recommends for abit more performance.

Ive looked at a few makes on the internet and theres a few different options. What does the "turn" of the motor mean? as in 480 8 turn, 480 12 turn?

Also how do i work out what ESC i need? is there a formular or a written rule for this? i presume i need a different amp-age of controller for the 400 and 480 motor?

Old 04-20-2006, 10:42 PM
Hellcat1st

Default RE: small ESC, motors and servos

The Only rule I have about ESC is to check what the motor manufactor rates the motor at Ie if it is rated at 15 amps I go with a 20-25 amp esc The 8 turn I blieve has to due with the nimber of windings in a motor.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:14 PM
jdetray

"Turns" are the number of times the wire inside the motor is wrapped around each pole of the armature (or in the case of a brushless motor, each tooth of the stator). In an 8-turn motor, the wire is wrapped around each pole 8 times.

For the same type of motor, a motor with fewer turns will spin faster than one with more turns. BUT the one with more turns will have more torque than one with fewer turns.

In general terms, this means that a low-turn motor is more suitable for spinning a small prop at high RPM. This type of power system would be good for a fast-flying plane, where speed is more important than thrust.

A high-turn motor is more suitable for spinning a larger prop at lower RPM. This type of power system would be good for a slow flyer or 3D plane, where thrust is more important than speed.

- Jeff
Old 04-21-2006, 05:26 PM
pcsketch

Not very 'micro' I'm building with 3.5" prop, 12 watt motor, 6X200 Mah battery, 2 amp speed control, 'pico' size servos and reciver. Flying weight 4-6 ounce. 2.6 oz load and the rest is balsa and food wrap. GWS 1" wheels work fine. Cost? (USA $) Battery $6- 6X220mah, speed controll $13, motor $11, servos $14ea, reciver $25, and airframe about $5.

Shelved my $400 P-51 and assorted other .40 glow aircraft. Traveling 25 miles to fly is over. Flying in school gyms and city parks with other ex-glow flyers. True most electric flyers are going brushless, but 'micro' is most easly done with brushed motors.

having fun doing 'electric' my way, Bill D. Salem, Oregon, USA "Just about as wet as England"