Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives
Reload this Page >

380 and NiMh to Brushless and LiPo Conversion... what do I need?

Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

380 and NiMh to Brushless and LiPo Conversion... what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Pavmentsurfer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 380 and NiMh to Brushless and LiPo Conversion... what do I need?

Ive tried to find a conversion table that will tell me what brushless motor to run in place of my 380 brushed unit. I cant find anything like that so im looking for a SIMPLE answer here.

What I want to do is remove the 380 brushed motor in my Badius and instal (with modifications im sure, thats not a problem) a brushless system with Lipo.

Now ive read as much as my brain can handle about this stuff and still dont get it. Im not an idiot but my head isnt wired to under stand all this stuff.

First, what size (and how do I determin what size a brushless motor is) motor do I need, what controller and what lipo pack?
Now, Im not looking for brand names. Im going to get all the stuff on e-bay. Im just looking for the required #'s to match everything up. For instance, what spec Lipo pack to go with the motor and controller. What amp controler to go with the motor. That sort of stuff.

I really dont want to know how or why it all works, I just want to spin the stock prop on my plane faster to get more speed and pull.

As you can see im not in the know with all this. Im hoping for an easier answer rather than a debate.

Thanks
pavmentsurfer
Old 04-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: 380 and NiMh to Brushless and LiPo Conversion... what do I need?

You've got the right idea about what you want to do (i.e. spin the stock prop faster and get better performance). That's basically the point of going brushless.

It's usually a whole lot easier to just chuck the whole stock power system, prop and all, and repower your plane based on the plane itself and the kind of performance you want to see.

Let's see... We've got a typical "Speed 400" size plane here (That's Graupner's name for the 380 motor). Sleek and slippery, so you want reasonable speed, but keeping in mind that it's an RTF and it's limited on speed.

Earlier today, I heard of a Venom V20 brushless motor that sounds like it might be a good brushless drop-in for the stock 380/400 motor, with the stock prop, even... You'd probably want an ESC rated for about 20 Amps with that, and the stock 7-cell NiMH battery, or a 2-cell LiPoly around 1500mAh.

That's but one option of many. To stick with a smaller prop and a minimum of modifications, you want a "400" class "inrunner" motor, something that's roughly the same length and diameter as your 380, with a "Kv rating in the 3000-3500 range." Walkera might produce something like that, and I see those on ebay frequently.

Be careful with the ebay stuff, though. Sometimes you can get stuck with some real junk, especially with the batteries.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:01 AM
Pavmentsurfer

O.K., heres what i ended up with. Tell me if you think this was a good idea or not.
Motor:

GWS 2205/15T
Motor: 2205/15T (GWBLM001)
Weight: 1.07 oz (30g)
Volt: 7.4V
Battery: 2-Cell 7.4V Lithium Polymer LiPo battery pack.
No Load: Current 0.77 Amps ; Speed 15050 RPM
KV: 2050
Dimensions: 3mm Shaft, 22 mm Appearance

ESC:
GWS Brushless ESC-15A Speed Controller
Operating Current: 10 Amp
Peak Current: 15 Amp
Max Current: 22.5 A when apply 7.4 V, 15.0 A when apply 11.1 V ; 10.0A when apply 14.8 V
Max Voltage: 15 V
Battery: 2-4 Cells Lithium Polymer LiPo battery pack.
Weight: 17g (0.6 oz)
Built-in Battery Eliminator Circuit
The ESC-15A default setting is with brake feature on

Battery:
GWS 7.4V 2200mAH, 2 Cell LiPo
Matched Packs
capacity: ±2%
voltage at 3.75V: ±0.02V
impedance (40 mOhm): ±2 mOhm
Size: 3.4x2.1x0.4 in (86x53x16 mm)
Weight: 3.3 oz (93g)
Connector: A2 (mini Tamiya male)
2 Cell configuration: 7.4V
Capacity: 2200 mAH
Max Charge Rate: 1.5C
Max Discharge Rate: 6C

What do you think about this? The motor mount looks like it will require some modification to get it on my plane but im sure I can handle that. The motor and ESC came as a package with the battery as a reccomendation. I guess ill have to see if my stock prop will fit. if not, ill be off my LHS for a spinner and a prop or 2.

Im interested to see what people think of this combo for an Accipiter badius.

Pavmentsurfer

Old 04-21-2006, 09:04 AM
critterhunter

Check into the Balsa Products BP21 brushless motor. It has been used to replace the 400 and 480 in numerous planes. It's cheap, at $18...and can be bought with the BP30 amp speed control for about $56 shipped...cheaper from other sources even. Great little more for less than half the price of others. Run it on a 3 cell lipo rated at 10C and 2000ma (motor draws 16 amps on a 7x6 prop, or try a 7x4 prop to lower the amp draw or slow the thing down based on what plane you put it in). I use this motor on a Stryker with a 7x6 prop and get close to 80mph (21 ounce plane). However, it can be used in lighter planes in the 15 ounce range with the 7x4 prop for good performance. For cheap lipos try Dymond Motorsports ($35) or Common Sense RC ($44) for packs rated at the specs above.