Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

AXI motor comparison ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Chocks_Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXI motor comparison ?

If I am eventually to go to a brushless set up with my Ultrafly Pilatus PC-9 , then it looks as if a good motor to use in it would be the AXI 2212/20.

There is quite a few guys on here with one, and after reading a few of their posts, it seems that most of them are using the AXI 2212/20 in theirs.

What other brushless motors can be more or less directly compared to this one so that I can compare some prices, as the AXI's are quite pricey in the UK ?

Also I noticed that AXI also do this one in a "Silver" version which is also a bit cheaper, - whats the difference between them ?
Old 05-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Mitchell91

Default RE: AXI motor comparison ?

the only difference between the gold and silver is that the silver is 3% less efficient, which i dont think makes a difference i have a silverline 2208/34 and it is just as good as a goldline and i have just bought a silverline 2212/34, hoping it will be as good as the 2208/34, but in my opinion it is good to get an axi because they are excellent quality
Old 05-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Really, the only difference between the silver and gold is the color of the anodizing on the metal parts... At least, that's how it appears. You can't tell the difference in quality or performance.

Now, if you want to compare motors, it's a little complicated. You need to compare motors by physical size, and Kv rating. Two motors of similar physical size and similar Kv ratings will perform similarly. The one with the higher Kv rating, if they don't match exactly, will be "more powerful" at the cost of flying time due to the higher current being drawn from the battery. If the Kv ratings are signifigantly different, you can still use the motor as a direct replacement by adjusting prop size.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Chocks_Away

OK, thanks a bunch guys [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 05-02-2006, 01:08 AM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Really, the only difference between the silver and gold is the color of the anodizing on the metal parts... At least, that's how it appears.
Taken from Hobby Lobby's site: AXI Silver OUTRUNNERS are the same size and weight as the AXI Gold OUTRUNNERS. They are about 2% less efficient than AXI Gold, which means that their flight times with the same size battery will be about 2% less.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Chocks_Away

Thanks for that RC_Soaring [sm=thumbup.gif]

If thats the case, theres not much point in them making two versions is there really for only a 2% difference ?

2% wouldn't even be noticed.

I could understand it if there was something like 20 or 25 % difference, but a measly 2% ?

I think that if I am going to get one, then the silver one will be my choice then, because its about 30% cheaper than the gold version.

I can live with a 2% shorter flight [sm=lol.gif]
Old 05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Mitchell91

ORIGINAL: RC_Soaring

ORIGINAL: Matt Kirsch

Really, the only difference between the silver and gold is the color of the anodizing on the metal parts... At least, that's how it appears.
Taken from Hobby Lobby's site: AXI Silver OUTRUNNERS are the same size and weight as the AXI Gold OUTRUNNERS. They are about 2% less efficient than AXI Gold, which means that their flight times with the same size battery will be about 2% less.
oops, i was 1% out, yeah i dont notice the difference
Old 05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

The less efficient the more heat...watch out on long flights.