Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Hacker newb questions

Old 05-22-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hacker newb questions

I am installing a Hacker A20-20L and a Hacker X20 ESC on my new plane. I am new to electric motors, so I am bit confused.

I have read the hacker instructions to each of these and they really don't say much. Which wires from the motor go to which on the ESC? The only information about this I could find in the manual is that to reverse direction of the motor, you switch any two wires. This leads me to believe that it doesn't matter what order they go in????

Also, I attached this picture so you all can check out how I mounted the motor. I found little in the instructions so I just did what fit. Let me know if you see anything screwed up.

Thanks for the help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42413.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	465310  
Old 05-22-2006, 09:33 PM

Default RE: Hacker newb questions

You are correct, you can plug in any of the three wires in any order and if the motor turns out to be spinning in the wrong direction then you simply switch two of the wires. I am not firmiliar with the plane but your motor mount looks good to go. Just make sure you have everything glued together good. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:47 PM
My Feedback: (18)

I have the same motor/esc combo. One thing I noticed is that when I had everything powered up while I setup the endpoints and expo, the ESC started to get pretty warm even though the motor wasn't running. Is this normal?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Devin McGrath
I am not firmiliar with the plane but your motor mount looks good to go. Just make sure you have everything glued together good. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
It's a CopperheadAviation extra stiffy. I am a bit worried about the epoxy job on the mount. The manual says that it is normal for the foam to be recessed from the outer skin from when it is cut and that this does not affect construction. But directly after that is says to make a good glue bond between the foam and the parts. Well, I could not find a way to get this mount to stick flush with the foam because the mount doesn't fit between the skins. I didn't cut the skin because it would have said to do that. It's glued well to the outer skin but im not sure how much of the foam it's bonded to. Is this something I need to correct?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 PM

ORIGINAL: CollectivelySpaced

I have the same motor/esc combo. One thing I noticed is that when I had everything powered up while I setup the endpoints and expo, the ESC started to get pretty warm even though the motor wasn't running. Is this normal?
I will let you know if mine does this when I get it running.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:57 PM

looks great, i think your glue job will be ok. let us know how that stiffy does, and if its really tuffer than other planes like they claim, i was thinking about one myself, but i havent heard from someone who had tried it yet.

john
Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 AM

I've got one more newb question before I can get this thing flying. The battery that came in the kit is a polyquest twenty. It has a red/black output that I am smart enough to know that that gets connected to the ESC and it also has 4 wires that go to a 5 prong female connector. I know that the receiver is going to need power somehow and I'm assuming it comes from this thing. Though the receiver i have is a Polk seeker and it has 3 prong inputs. Am I supposed to connect that thing on there somehow? I will take a picture after work if this is unclear.

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-26-2006, 08:54 AM
My Feedback: (2)

no... all power comes from the 2 wires (the positive and negative).... the BEC(battery eliminator circuit) (in the ESC (electronic speed control)) provides the servo power through the throttle plug....

the other set of wires is for balancing the battery with a seperate balancer
Old 05-30-2006, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

no... all power comes from the 2 wires (the positive and negative).... the BEC(battery eliminator circuit) (in the ESC (electronic speed control)) provides the servo power through the throttle plug....

the other set of wires is for balancing the battery with a seperate balancer
Thanks for the info. I got the motor and servos all up and running. I am amazed by the power that little motor has.

I mapped channel 5 (the channel used for bat/esc) as a slave to channel 3 on my Futaba 7C to get it to control the motor with the throttle stick. Is this the only way to accomplish this?

I hope to have it flying in a day or so.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The Esc/Batt should just plug into the throttle channel on your receiver. No mixing required

Cheers,

Tim Hudson