Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Getting noise interference or hits??

Old 05-29-2006, 05:33 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting noise interference or hits??

I built an mini super sportster a couple of weeks ago and put a 48 amp ESC, 3 cell 2100 Mah LIPO, and 8 X 6 prop on it. Still flying but all of the sudden getting major hits. Just starting doing this. Whatever it is it affects the ESC and all servos. Sounds like the common denominator is the receiver. Using an Eflight 400 brushless with a JR 6 channel micro RX I have used for years. Antenna is starting to look pretty rough. Any ideas fellows?

By the way, this thing is a screamer with this setup.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:14 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Getting noise interference or hits??

since you said the antenna is looking rough, check it for continuity. Be sure to move it around as there may be a break that is held together by the sheathing most of the time. What about component location? You sound like an experienced e-power flier, but we all get careless at times. Also, I don't have time to run the numbers in e-calc, but is there a chance you're pulling the LiPos' voltage down too far under high power? Just a few thoughts, hope something helps. Now find me somebody that knows how to program crow on a Tracker III.
Walt
Old 05-30-2006, 08:39 AM

Good advice Walt. I have moved the antenna around with no change in results. I think I am going to replace the antenna since that is cheap. Also, concerning component placement. Since you can't lengthen wires on a brushless motor, I did place the ESC pretty close to the motor. Do you think I may be picking up motor interference since they are so close? Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:04 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Did you try changing the crystal?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 AM

I have not but that is an interesting thought. I have several JR receivers on the same channel, so I will try that.

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2006, 10:47 PM
My Feedback: (9)

the shorter any wires are the better (except the antenna). When I said move the antenna around, I meant while you are checking continuity wiggle and bend it like the air does in flight.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:29 PM
My Feedback: (21)

The job will be a whole lot easier if you can reproduce the problem on the ground. Then you can simply go by process of elimination, swapping components out until you find the culprit.

If the hits are only present in the air, then it's a much tougher challenge. At that point, you have to consider how much the plane, and the safety of yourself and any onlookers, are worth to you. You could go the extreme route and replace everything in the plane, or you could replace the likely component(s) and test-fly when nobody is around.

Check all your soldered connections for loose or cold joints. Check all your wires for frayed connections.

If your receiver or receiver pack crosses wires ANYWHERE with the power leads for the ESC, then do what it takes to eliminate that. Move the ESC and receiver as far away from each other as possible.

PS: Chris, please only create one thread per question. You posted this exact same question to at least two areas of RCU. It's not necessary, makes more work for you, and can get confusing when the two threads yield vastly different, conflicting, discussions. Heck, just to demonstrate the kind of confusion this can generate, I replied to your post in Electric General Discussion, then came over here and couldn't figure out where my post went
Old 06-01-2006, 12:05 PM

Roger on the single post to one forum. As it turns out, I had a bad receiver. Surely got my $$ worth out of it. I used it on 5 difference models and it has survived 2 crashes and a lot of antenna abuse. Replaced receiver, problem solved. Thanks for the advice folks.