Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Everything was working fine and then . . .

Old 05-30-2006, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everything was working fine and then . . .

I have a CR-2 from ChargerRC and was flying it this morning with no problems. Came home, charged up the batteries and out I went again this evening to fly again. The motor seemed to be making sort of a grinding noise but I checked and there was no interference anywhere. I didn’t fly and for the life of me I just can’t figure out what’s going on. The motor runs fine without the prop on. I tried changing props too with no luck. Here are the specs:

Battery: 1300mAh 12C – 18C 3 cell Lipo
ESC: ELE-25 (25amp)
Motor: Came with Charger kit – Brushless and said to work with this Battery and ESC combo. No problems before today.

I’m not sure if I blew the ESC as it was warm to the touch and the arming tones were very low to silent in tone. All servos worked fine though. Battery was charged at 1C using an Accucycle Elite with Equinox Lipo cell balancer.

Help!!!
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 PM

Default RE: Everything was working fine and then . . .

My guess would be a motor problem, maybe a loose magnet, a short, or a bad connection.

By the way, most ESCs actually use the motor to produce sound. That is, the ESC has no sound-making device of its own.

- Jeff
Old 05-30-2006, 07:43 PM

Default RE: Everything was working fine and then . . .

Thanks for the help. That’s good info that the ESC uses the motor to produce the sound. As the ESC tone is barely audible and the motor doesn’t put out enough power to go airborne now, my first shot will be replacing the motor. Again, thanks for the good info.

-- Barry