Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

AXI magnets glue-mount weak?

Old 05-31-2006, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXI magnets glue-mount weak?

I just purchased from Hobby-Lobby an AXI 4130/20 this winter to power an H9 Showtime. Other setup details - Jeti 77 Opto, 8s2p Polyquest 2100, 17x10 APCe prop (all from hobby-lobby).

This setup seem to have power more than enough for verticals and great for doing basic trim and pattern maneuvers. However, just on its 4th flight yesterday morning, on a turn right after takeoff, there was a strange loud metal to metal noise, and so I landed the plane immediately. After opening the motor back home, to check on any loose object, I discovered 3 detached magnets, one had broken into 2 (pls. see picture).

This is my second AXI, the other, a 4120/18 is on a CG Matrix and is very reliable, so far. ..expecting the same reliability with this larger AXI. For a next project, I've considering a full size (2m) pattern with a bigger AXI, probably one of those 53XX/xx... but before I go any further, I'm just wondering if any one has similar experience with this motor.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59895.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	469360   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30182.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	469361  
Old 05-31-2006, 01:29 PM
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: AXI magnets glue-mount weak and defective?

Even the best QC produces a few duds.

Hobby Lobby's really stepped up to the plate as far as supporting and servicing AXis from what I've heard, so you should be in pretty good shape as far as getting it fixed.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:16 AM

Default RE: AXI magnets glue-mount weak and defective?

Thanks for the positive feedback. Hobby-Lobby has actually adviced me to ship the motor for a replacement. ...Very good customer support, I agree.