Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Bad brushless motor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 05:11 PM
rawvoodoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad brushless motor?

Ok I fried my walkera esc the other night ( at least Im assuming thats what the puff of yellow smoke coming from it meant ) It ran fine to about 25% throttle with no blades on, then I put the baldes on and strapped my heli to the table and when I tried to start it up, I heard a buzz then nothing.... it seemed like the motor was doing the buzzing. I tried once more and poof... esc toast. Today I went to my LHS and bought an E-flite 40 amp. Put it on the bird and slowly ran it up with no blades. Seems ok but now Im afraid to put the blades on for fear of it poofing too.

I pulled out my motor to check it. Should my walkera 3200 brushless motor spin smoothly or should it "pulse" as you spin the pinion by hand? becasue mine is "pulsing" when I spin it.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:59 PM
INeedHelp
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Bad brushless motor?

If by pulsing you mean you feel the resistance from the magnets then the motor is fine. If it feels more like grinding the the motor is bad.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:18 AM
iceman718

It should still be fairly smooth. On the motor that came with my most recent plane, the motor had a lot of resistance and burned out before I even flew it. My current one still 'pulses' but it is pretty smooth.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
jdetray

The periodic resistance you feel when turning a brushless motor by hand is known as "cogging." It is caused by the magnets interacting with the stator. It's normal.

Some motors have lots of cogging; others have very little -- whatever is normal for that particular motor design. More or less cogging is neither good or bad.

As stated above, if you feel a metal-on-metal grinding, that's bad!

- Jeff
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
StephenT

It may be a loose magnet.

StephenT