Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

What makes brushless better than brushed?

Old 09-03-2006, 10:37 PM
metabolicmaggot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes brushless better than brushed?

I know the difference between them, but does it perform better, longer battery or what?
Old 09-03-2006, 11:34 PM
jdetray

Default RE: What makes brushless better than brushed?

The most obvious advantage of brushless motors is that there are no brushes to wear out. With a brushed motor, the brushes will eventually wear out. When that happens, the motor must be replaced, unless it is one of the relatively few brushed motors with replaceable brushes.

The only points of wear on a brushless motor are the bearings, so brushless motors usually last a long, long time.

Outrunner-style brushless motors can spin large props without a gearbox. So if you want to save the weight and complexity of a gearbox, a brushless motor may be a good solution.

- Jeff
Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 AM
Mitchell91

plus they are more efficient and give out more power
Old 09-04-2006, 10:52 AM
jdetray

A good brushed motor can be more efficient than a mediocre brushless motor, which is why I did not mention efficiency. It is not true that a brushless motor is always more efficient than a brushed motor.

As for more power, that's largely a function of the size of the motor. Obviously, a big brushed motor can deliver more power than a small brushless. It might be more correct to say that for the same motor weight, brushless motors can often deliver more power than brushed motors.

- Jeff
Old 09-04-2006, 10:56 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: metabolicmaggot

I know the difference between them, but does it perform better, longer battery or what?
The torque on the shaft is equal to the magnetic force multiplied by the torque arm. The brushless outrunner has the force oriented farther from the center of the shaft, for a longer arm. Hence more torque, hence the capability to run bigger props without a gearbox.

Before using brushless outrunners, people were using exotic magnetic materials, for more force at the same torque arm, and that was more powerful, too. It's been an interesting time, the last few years, in small electric motors.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson