Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

HELP WITH ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OF PLANE

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:57 PM
CAMOMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OF PLANE

Ok....i Have An Align 450L 1000kv Motor....a Gws 35 A Esc.....three Naro Servos.....a Hitec Electron 6 Receiver On My Estarter Plane Running On 3 Cell Lipo......I Have Flown This Plane Two Different Days....on The First Flight Each Time After Plane Leaves The Ground The Motor Drops Out And I Have To Glide It Back Down....when I Get To The Plane All The Servos Are Humming And I Have To Unplug The Battery And Plug It Back In To Get The Servos To Go Back To The Correct Posision....this Has Happened On Both Days First Flights....OK After I Get Everything Back To Normal And Ground Check It.... It Will Fly Fine For A While And Just When You Least Expect It The Motor Will Quit And The Servos Will Lock Up In A Random Position And It Will Hit The Ground.....nothing I Can Do....i Will Go Over And The Servos Are In A Bind Once Again....i Will Unplug The Battery And Plug It Back In And Everything Is Once Again Back To Normal For A Little While....i Have Only Broken The Plane Once When These Little Fits Happen.....i Can't Seem To Figure Out What It Might Be....i Have Swapped Receivers And No Difference.....do You Think It Might Be A Faulty Esc....any Help Will Be Appreciated.....the Plane Flies Perfect Until These Little Fits....i Need To Figure This Out Before I Tear It All To Peices...thanks.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: HELP WITH ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OF PLANE

It sounds like the ESC with unplugging the battery and having it be ok for a while. Does that ESC have a voltage rating high enough for the 11.1v 3-cell LiPo? Does it have a voltage cutoff pre-programmed? Depending on you LiPo, it could be delivering bursts around 40-42amps or possibly even a little higher, which could cause problems with a 35 amp ESC, which probably has a max. around 40 for bursts.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:50 PM
CAMOMAN

Can I plug my 4.8 volt receiver battery pack into the receiver with the ESC that has the BEC.....it will be in parallel with the ESC....I was just wondering if it would burn anything up.....If this would work I would still have power to the receiver when the ESC shuts down.....just a question because I am new to this and don't really have a clue....
Old 09-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Fliprob17

But if the servos are humming/locked up, having the RX battery plugged into the RX would not really help. They are already stuck in place, having a second power source is not going to necessarily free them up. What you can do is unplug the ESC from the RX (should be ch. 3), then plug in your RX battery into the RX in the batt./ch6 plug. Then test out the system (ch's 1,2,4), if all servos work without locking up, then it is something with the ESC.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:29 AM
CAMOMAN

Thanks.......I think I figured out the problem...the ESC is not able to carry the load of three servos....I had another ESC and I swapped them out and the same thing happened.......but I can unplug one servo and it has plenty of range and doesn't drop out.......I did plug an extra 4.8 volt pack up to the receiver while the ESC was still hooked up and it gave the receiver enough power to run the servos....I range checked it and it seems like it will be fine like this....I guess as long as it doesn't burn something up........I believe as long as the power sources are in parallel they will be fine....it's just an added boost for the BEC circuit.....oh well I hope this solves the problem....I have ordered another ESC with more power on the BEC circuit so I can do away with the battery pack........Thanks...
Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 AM
pilotpete2

If you are have BEC problems with 3S lipos, a parkbec just may be the ticket, here's the link. Good luck
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm
Pete

P.S. You should not have the BEC connected at the same time you use a separate battery, with some units it's OK, with some not so OK[X(], to be safe remove the red wire from the ESC plug at the receiver and insulate it with heat shrink, don't cut as that makes it harder to go back to BEC at some time in the future
Old 09-07-2006, 02:27 PM
CAMOMAN

pilotpete2

Thanks very much...this is exactly what I am looking for.....this should cure all my problems....have ordered two already.....once again thanks.....and thanks to all you guys that have given input into this problem.....I think this will solve it after all....