Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Newbie needs some advice

Old 09-24-2006, 12:05 PM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs some advice

I'll say first off that i don't know anything about powering a plane electrically but want to start in on electrics by finding a suitable motor, speed control and battery for a small 34" span 26" long plane that i'm building called the Beagle Pup. I think the weight should be around 22 oz. Attached is a photo of the plane so far. I think it was originally designed for a Cox .074 to a .10 glow engine with a prop size of 6 -7 inches. This plane will be going on some foam floats for float flying. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66510.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	529514  
Old 09-24-2006, 01:21 PM
gleebs

Default RE: Newbie needs some advice

If you want to get into electric flight you may want to consider getting motocalc. If you are planning a flying weight of 22 oz chances are: an eflite 450, 20-25 amp esc, Apogee 3c 1500 would give you unlimited performance. For a more docile plane you could do: E-flite 400, 20 amp esc, Thunder power TP1320.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Slo-V Flyer

That E-flite motor + ESC combo is what I would have recommened, too for that weight category. Though, CanadaGoose, you mentioned "floats" so my guess is the extra drag will require a little more available power than say a normal wheeled plane. So I'd stick to the Park 450 outrunner to be sure, and a 3-cell lipo, or alternatively a minimum of 2/3A sized 8-cell nimh battery, like the Great Planes Electrifly 1100mah stick pack or better quality. Try anywhere from 9x6 to 10x7 inch APC props to see what best powers your place *safely* without reaching the motor or more importantly, lipo-battery's amp limits at full throttle.

The Park 480 outrunner wouldn't hurt either. It's a killer motor with almost 250 watts maximum power compared to the Park 450 motor's ~150 watts.

One bad thing about the E-Flite motors is their slightly higher price, especially if you wreck one.

The Park 400 outrunner is $59, Park 450 is $65, the Park 480 is $69. The E-flite 20amp brushless ESC is about $40, the new 25amp version is $45 at my local Hobbytown USA. Of course, there are countless manufacturers to choose from. E-flite is just one that I have good experience with.

Try Maxamps.com for some inexpensive lipo batteries, or even some Nimh packs.

But DO try to use Motocalc to get some theoritical power/amp/performance numbers rolling so that you know what kind of setup to expect without too many nasty surprises from the start.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 AM
Fliprob17

With floats will the plane be heavier than the projected 22oz? If you get up around 26-27oz I would go with the E-Flite Park 480 BL 1020kv outrunner motor. Should have plenty of power. I would then go with the E-Flite 40amp (V2) brushless ESC. Better to be a little over in amps than cut it close. It will allow you to play with prop size a little more as long as the motor does not get too hot. Maybe like slo-v said, start around a 9x6 and you could go all the way up to an 11x7 or so depending on plane performance. Just stick with the E props for Electric flight. I would then go with the Thunder Power 11.1volt 3 cell LiPo 2100mah. Longer flight times with more mah.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:52 AM
canadagoose
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the reply's guys, this really gives me an idea what to look for. I will also see if i can get motocalc. This plane is actually going to be for my 12 year old son, he really wants an electric plane instead of a loud and messy glow engine powered one. I have been watching others flying electric powered planes and would really like to give them a go too.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Mooney_driver

Hello Canadagoose.

It looks like your Beagle Pup came out pretty good as
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14231939
and
http://tjlewis1.rchomepage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69
indicate..

How did it fly? Are you flying it with skiis now? If you think it was originally for .074 where did the original plan come from? Is that a variation of the RCM #359Beagle Pupplan from the RCL-68 issue (whatever RCL is)?

ORIGINAL: canadagoose

I'll say first off that i don't know anything about powering a plane electrically but want to start in on electrics by finding a suitable motor, speed control and battery for a small 34" span 26" long plane that i'm building called the Beagle Pup. I think the weight should be around 22 oz. Attached is a photo of the plane so far. I think it was originally designed for a Cox .074 to a .10 glow engine with a prop size of 6 -7 inches. This plane will be going on some foam floats for float flying. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:00 AM
AltaTed

I'm new to RC flying and just getting started. I see motocalc referred to and need as much info to learn as much as I can on these wonderful things. Where do I find motocalc? I'm a retired EE/ME and understand just enough to get into trouble as I begin the adventure into RC flight.

I want to do it right and have my first bird, a foamie RTF Cub type to start and a bunch of component's ordered for a model I have on the drawing board. This forum is great to get educated but things like "programing ESC's " and the equipment to do so I have yet to find. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Altated
Ferndale, WA
Old 12-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Dr Kiwi

http://www.motocalc.com/motodown.htm

You get a 30-day free trial, then it is the third best $35 you have ever spent on the hobby (after your Wattmeter and tach).

You can also get DriveCalc (free): http://www.drivecalc.de/