Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Brushed/ Brushless ESC

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:25 AM
joe0490

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed/ Brushless ESC

New at all this.Can the same esc used with a brushed motor be used on a brush-less motor?

Also, do they use the same type battery.?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Brushed/ Brushless ESC

no

yes

No, you cannot use the same ESC..
Brushed motors are DC and brushless are 3 phase AC (it is a bit more than that, but that simplifys it)

and Yes, you can use the same power source... ASSUMING That you do your homework and keep all the components of your power system within thier specs
Old 10-11-2006, 06:54 AM
joe0490

Ok I seen a post about changing direction by changing any two leads. To me that is AC .I just wanted to make sure. I know all about Ac and DC differences.
Thanks Much
Old 10-11-2006, 09:55 AM
pilotpete2

Actually they are classed as BLDC (brushless dc) as they run in a commutated mode, using dc switched electronically rather than mechanically. The motors themselves are not capable of functioning without either a BLDC or a variable frequency drive that is designed for starting a motor with a permanent magnet rotor. If you were to connect one of these motors to a source of the proper voltage 3 phase ac the motor would not start, it would have to be spun up to synchronous speed by an external power source as the PM rotor cannot accelerate fast enough so it will sit in a stalled condition with no torque produced. The fact that the current flow between the ESC and the motor can be considered "ac" is somewhat confusing since the "commutator" is located external to the motor rather than internal as in a brushed motor, one could easily argue that a brushed motor runs on ac, and they would be "technically" correct, but wrong since the power source is dc, just as the power source is dc for brushless motors. Class dismissed!
Pete