Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Please help gearbox problems

Old 10-14-2006, 07:40 PM
bur0011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help gearbox problems

Hello,

I'm new at the BRUSHLESS CRAZE and i need some advice.
I brought a HIMARK B2520 4200kv brushless motor at an action and recently brought a gearbox with a 6:1 ratio to suit,

The hobbie store man gave me a APC 9x4.5 electirc prop and a APC 9x6 electric prop to suit, i insaled the 9x4.5 on it,

The problem is it does'nt seem to mesh right do you have any ideas ?

How much mesh shuold there be?

What kind of ESC and battery should i use?

do i soft or hard mount it?

appreciate any help,

please reply.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53054.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	541145   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71410.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	541146   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81662.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	541147  
Old 10-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Please help gearbox problems

What leads you to believe that the gears are not meshing properly? It doesn't look like the mesh is adjustable on that gearbox.

Do you have an idea for an airplane for this motor setup? Prop size and battery will depend on the power requirements of the airplane. You ought to be able to run up to a 12x6 prop with a 3-cell 11.1V LiPoly with this motor.

The square socket on the gearbox frame is meant for a "stick mount," a square piece of hardwood protruding from the airplane's firewall. It should be hard mounted, because electrics do not have the vibration of a reciporicating engine.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:35 PM
Dr Kiwi

Did the gearbox come with only the one pinion gear and one spur gear - or 3prs - if so you may have the incorrect pinion for the spur which is fitted. I assume that's a 2025/4200 with a 6.6:1 box - so you should have a 66T spur matched with a 10T pinion. As Matt says - 9x4.5 is way too small - a 12x6 will still only draw about 13A on 3s.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:35 AM
bur0011

YEH!

Thank you for replying Matt and Dr kiwi

I think it's not meshing properly because there is SLOPE in between the gears, the gearbox came with a 6.6:1 ratio (installed) and - 5.33:1 - 4.42:1 ratios ,i have the 10T pinion gear on the motor shaft and a 66T gear on the gearbox drive shaft. I ran a standard A4 printer piece of paper through the gears and it took up the slope while leaving a clean impression in the paper, with out the paper there is diffenent slope between the gears.

As for what plane it would go on, is whether it would pull around a 4pound 40 glow size high wing trainer or a 2 pound playboy old timer?
We would design and make a plane to suit.[sm=49_49.gif]

What kind of RPM would it do with a the APC 9x4.5 with a 3cell lipo and with a 12x6 3cell at 13A as you said?

Thank's for the reply, it's been a real help hope to hear from you soon.

PS: This is my early speed 400 brushed Pylon racer called: "DYNAMITE",GREAT FUN!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24720.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	541936