Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ParkZOne brushless power suggestions ?

Old 10-21-2006, 06:34 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ParkZOne brushless power suggestions ?

I have a ParkZOne P-51 and FW 190. I just ordered the powerzone mod so I can put a brushless on the stock radio gear. I also ordered 2 metal pinons with set screws(no more spun pinion gears I'd like some suggestions on a brushless motor / esc to put in the stock gearbox. I was thinking of ordering the thypoon motor / esc but I don't know how well it would work. I'm trying to keep the cost down to 90 per motor / esc per plane.
Any suggestions would be great

Thanks
Old 10-22-2006, 10:33 PM
scottyc883

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ParkZOne brushless power suggestions ?

I have a ParkZone P-51 with a E-Flite Park 480 outrunner, Castle Phoenix 25 ESC, Thunder Power 3s 2100 Li-Po, Spektrum radio. I had to make my own motor mount out of carbon fiber but thin plywood would work fine. You have to make sure that the ceter line of the motor is centered on the cowl or looks kind of goofy. Mine flies like a rocket wide open and like a stock one at 1/3 thorottle. Flite time are around 20 minutes if you watch the throttle. It is actually a much better plane to fly with more power. The vertical performace is great, goes straight up until you back out of the gas. About $150 for the motor and ESC. Everybody's preference is different, this combination just seemed to work out for me. Just remember this is a heavy airplane as far as park fliers go so make sure you upgrade with enough motor, ESC and prop to pull it. Good Luck
Old 10-23-2006, 08:39 AM
critterhunter

I'd check into the Tower Pro 2409-12 (People call it the 12T) (latest motor with great power...unlimited vertical), or the 2408-21 (People call it the BP21) which is a bit slower and won't have unlimited vertical. They sell for well under $20 and you can combo a 30 amp Tower Pro ESC to them for under $40. Check on aero-nuts.com, rchotdeals, or balsa products. Try a 8x5 or 7x6 on the BP21 (around 15 amps) or an 8x6 on the 12T (close to 30 amps). Don't pay for a name when buying brushless motors or escs. For a good $32 20C 2200ma 3 cell lipo check on the E-Flite Power sources forum for a thread on "Best Lipo Prices".
Old 11-01-2006, 04:59 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Critterhunter,
What kind of a prop would I need with that setup and a 2100 mah 15 c 3 cell lipo?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:09 AM
critterhunter

ORIGINAL: ea01bg

Critterhunter,
What kind of a prop would I need with that setup and a 2100 mah 15 c 3 cell lipo?
Those batteries will safely handle the BP21. It's amp draw is around 15 or so amps on a 7x6, 12 or 14 on an 8x4. The 12T draws close to 30 amps on a 8x6. Your packs can handle 31.5 amps so that will be pushing your packs close to the limit, but if you drop to a 7x7, 7x6, or an 8x4 or 8x5 you might get amp draw in the mid to high range (25 or more amps) that would be safer for the battery. You can try an 8x6 on it and see how hot the pack gets after a few minutes of wide open throttle. You can buy a Tower Pro 30 amp ESC to use with either motor but I'd make sure it gets good airflow and add an extra heat sink to the top of the ESC if using the 12T. Better off buying a larger ESC in the 40 to 60 amp range. I'm using the 30 amp on my 12T but I've got good airflow to it and cut off the top of the heat shrink over the heat sink and glued a little ribbed heat sink on top of that to aid cooling. These motors have 3mm shaft holes so use a bullet type prop adaptor if going direct drive. Cut the motor shaft down to the desired length as well as they are pretty long.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:06 PM
astro1111

Please help...My friend has a FW-190 and wants to upgrade it to a brushless motor. We bought the Eflite Six Series inrunner which in one catalog said was a direct replacement in the gearbox. After mods it fit but we couldn't find a pinion that messed or stayed on. So we are now working on a new motor mount. Can you tell me and direct me to the upgrade/mod that you talked about. Is their a pinion with a set screw that can be used with the standard gearbox?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2007, 10:25 PM
modifyit15
My Feedback: (27)

I just finished My FW190 I put a CC 25 with the Striker Brushless Motor Should be sikly FAST!!! I change the RX to work with my DX7 Though.
o yea its Direct Drive also