Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Help finding a small motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 07:24 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help finding a small motor

I am looking for help finding a motor for an airplane, it's a 20" span mustang that weighs 4 oz ready to fly. I tried a feaggio and it did well on 2 cell lipo, burned it up on a 3 cell. I then tried the brushed pot 2A that came on a Triangle, a small fun fly from Hobby Lobby, burned it up but did great until it fried the brushes. I'm running a 4X3 prop direct drive. Needs to be small. light and able to put out good rpm's direct drive on a 3 cell lipo. The fuse is 1 1/8" diameter where the engine goes. Any recommendations?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 AM
soarhead-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help finding a small motor

Evan:
I think the reason you smoked your feagoa is you are over proping it.. These are very high kv motors and they need to scream. If you bog them down the amps go sky high and they are up in smoke. If its a pretty sleek airframe I think a 3X2 would be a better prop. I have flown similar planes in the past with the little GWS IPS 12mm motor DD with this prop. Try one and see how it flies The motors come in a pack with prop and are cheap. To check on the correct prop for the model # of feagoa go to BPhobbies.com site, they have all the recommended props for the model you have on a chart I think that there are 3 different winds of that little motor. Also Medussa and Great Planes make little 12X30mm motors now. GP is available at Tower... The GWS Ips will not survive on 3s only 2s unless you run a gear box.
Good Luck
Bob