Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

motor for airfoilZ Edge 540

Old 10-26-2006, 02:35 PM
dutchalltheway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor for airfoilZ Edge 540

Hey guys, I really can use some input here

I am a glow flyer, and am planning on getting my 1st electric plane

Iwas checking out AirfoilZ Edge 540, and am about 99% sure that this plane will be my choice.

I know they recommend a hacker engine, but I know that like E-flite for example, seem to be a popular choice as well.

since I am new to the world of electric planes, I would so appreciate you guys's input here, since I lack the knowledge here.

Are there pro's/con's to certain engines??
I like to go brushless...that much I know...

Thank you guys so much for your help.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: motor for airfoilZ Edge 540

Brushless is the only way to go these days, especially in the case of 3D flight like you're looking at.

One thing is true, you get what you pay for. Hacker is pretty much top-of-the-line, whereas eflite is a nice middle-of-the-road compromise between quality and price (plus you can't beat Horizon support with a stick).

The rated weight of that Edge is 16-18oz. For 3D you'll want around 150 Watts, which is about what a Hacker A20-20L will put out at peak load. The Eflite Park 400 motor is very similar in specifications to the A20-20L.