Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Phoenix 35 toasted --- but why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:54 AM
perreback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phoenix 35 toasted --- but why?

OK, I'm new to electrics, but I do know how to connect a lipo to a speed controller --- yet I managed to fry a Phoenix 35 last night. I have no idea how it could possibly happen.

Setup:

Hacker A30-16M
Phoenix 35
1800mAh lipo
APCE 11x5

Chain of events:

Finished my Mini Funtana last night. Connected battery, tried motor (which worked very well), centered all four servos. Disconnected battery, fixed receiver and speed controller in fuselage with hook and loop tape after checking CG. Connected battery again --- correctly --- and the speed controller short circuited on me. Sparks, smoke, extremely hot battery. Heat shrink tubing used everywhere it should be. What on earth happened here?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Phoenix 35 toasted --- but why?

Good question. That kind of failure sounds like reversed polarity, but if you're 100% sure you didn't plug it in backwards...

I've blown a couple of ESCs, and the mode of failure usually involves the motor not starting when throttle is applied. Bugs in older versions of ESCs were causing the motors to not start.

Send the ESC in to Castle Creations with a note explaining the circumstances. They'll fix it or replace it for you.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:02 AM
perreback

Send the ESC in to Castle Creations with a note explaining the circumstances. They'll fix it or replace it for you.
I would, but I didn't buy the ESC directly from Castle Creations, and apparently their policy is, if you didn't buy directly from them, they won't replace your stuff. I understand Castle Creations have excellent customer service, but in this case I'll have to rely on the goodwill of my LHS.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:00 AM
jonnyjetprop
My Feedback: (3)

Not true. You just need a receipt. Even if it was your fault, CC will replace it for $30.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...html#warranty3

John
Old 10-29-2006, 09:53 AM
perreback

"Refunds will only be issued for products purchased directly from Castle Creations. If you did not purchase your product from Castle Creations, please contact the retailer or dealer that you purchased your product from for information on their return policy", is what it says on http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...html#warranty3 --- I suppose I misinterpreted that. OK, that's good news, then --- having an ESC repaired for $30 sure beats getting a new one for $90.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Joe Ford
My Feedback: (1)

That is refunds, not repairs. Send me your mailing address at [email protected]
I'll get a new one out to you. Send that one back to us via the cheapest method possible.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:49 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haste causes me to waste money.
Quick jumper test of a setup, Reversed the battery leads. Dead ESC.

Should have put the polarizing Bullet connectors on first.

$30.00------Please ?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:33 AM
volcomSNOWs2k

Sounds like Reversed Polarity. CC makes a great product. The ESC's dont just fry for new reason. Contact CC and they will take care of u.