Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

brushless vs nitro

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM
Raad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless vs nitro

al salam alaikum ,

Hello all .. i am trying to get the most info i can get before buying an airplane .. i heard alot about brusless motors and how fast they are , they replaced two brushed motors on some rc trucks .. so i am guessing they are pretty strong .. but when comparing to nitro .. ?? how are they be better ?? no fuel and oil mess?? no loud noises ?? are they faster ?if i take a size 15 plane and put a 450 watt motor ?? how would that go on it ? whats the most time u can get of electric ?? i really need info about this subject .. please give all the info you can .. thank you .

Raad,
Old 10-30-2006, 06:06 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: brushless vs nitro

No mess, no loud noises, can fly at local parks or anywhere, easier to keep in running order (to tune-ups). I don't know that they are faster, they can be because they are much lighter, so the plane is lighter, but power to weight ratio they are awesome vs. the nitro motors. How much does a 15 size plane weigh? The E-Flite Park 480 Outrunner is designed for planes around 27 ounces. Generally you can expect 10-15 minutes with the correct setup and battery selection.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:57 AM
Raad

hello ,

thank you very much for your reply ,one of the airplanes that really got me to like the brushless motors .. is the ultimate 40 s from airborn models .. they had a review for it on rc mag. , they tried both nitro and brushless on the same model .. i dont really see much difference . ,...

how about money wise ?? is electric cheaper ? never mind how much the nitro fuel coasts .. getting started in electric compared to getting started in nitro ? and what are the best system or set up to go with ?

Raad,
[email protected]
Old 10-31-2006, 09:53 AM
Fliprob17

I don't know how much nitro costs, I have only flown electric. But for a nice plane you are looking at $100, $70 motor, $70 battery, $60 ESC, $95 flight pack w/ 3 servos and receiver, $15 extra servo, $20 in props, $90 nice charger, $40 wattmeter = $560 if you already have a radio you want to keep using. Nice radios go from $160 on up. I would look at the new Spektrum 7 and the Futaba 6EX-PCM.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Raad
i dont really see much difference . ,...
Raad,

That's the point! Articles like that are designed to help show that glow-like performance is indeed possible with electrics.

Getting into either electric or glow if you're just starting out can be expensive. Unfortunately, I don't really know what the hobby industry is like in Egypt, so I'll show you comparisons in US dollars.

Figure about US$400 minimum to get into your typical ".40-size" (.4 cubic inch glow engine) glow trainer. This is an RTF trainer that comes with engine and radio preinstalled, along with a complete set of field support equipment. All you have to do is some basic assembly, charge the batteries, and fuel up.

The downside to this kind of setup is that you really need an experienced instructor to teach you to fly. You spent a lot of money on a plane that won't handle crashing very well.

Electrics come in every shape and size. You can get a beginner's electric plane for less than US$100. It will be small, underpowered compared to the glow trainer, and very limited in capabilities. Most only give you throttle and steering control at that price level. The small size means you need to wait for calm evenings to go flying.

Bigger electrics are of course, more expensive. For $200, you can get a throttle/rudder/elevator plane like the Multiplex Easy Star. The Easy Star is nice in that it's made of foam, and is very easy to fly such that you could make a go of it alone without worrying about totally destroying the plane. Any damage will be relatively easy to repair with simple epoxy.

For a plane similar in size to a typical .40-size trainer, you're looking at a minimum of $400 for the plane setup, but most are closer to $600 once all is said and done. Of course, with the larger planes, you definitely want to have an instructor again due to the investment and lack of crashability.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:42 PM
themanimal
My Feedback: (1)

I have both and nitro is cheaper and in all honesty, a little easier to understand. You do have to tune a nitro engine but it is pretty simple thing to accomplish on an airplane.

Electrics are expensive (more expensive) as for each plane you have to buy a brushless motor ($50) ESC (antoher $40-50) and batteries that are $50 a pop. Your average nitro motor is $100.

Botttom line, if you have a place to fly nitro, then get a nitro. if your flying at a park or other public area, get an electric.

Either way plan on spending $400 to get your self in the air. (ps learn to fly from someone else)

Old 11-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Fighter Pilot

Buy a Stryker with EVERYTHING you need to fly for $249.99. It’s super crazy fast and fun to fly, and it screams like a raped ape on high speed dives. [>:]

http://hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_parkzone_stryker_c.htm

If your new to flying maybe get yourself something like a Super Cub first. It has EVERYTHING you need to fly for $159.99.

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc_planes_h..._super_cub.htm

FYI, My first plane was the Stryker F-27C and I LOVE it. I put about 10 hours on my buddies G3 simulator and I was ready to go. So I guess I would recommend skipping the underpowered lame flying trainers and just get a simulator first.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:14 PM
skiman762

I like the electric because you can have a bunch of planes and you only need one motor esc and battery or batteries if it's on a stick mount you can change motors in minutes the speed controls and rx can be mounted with velcro since vibration is no issue with electric All you really need for a second or third plane in the same power group is the servos and there and tons of great electric arf's for less then 100 bucks some people say the batteries cost to much but I have some 30 dollars packs with hundreds of flights try that with 2 gallons of nitro
with nitro you pretty much need to spend the big bucks for every plane you have there good points for each but if you have never flown a real electric plane meaning not a under powered junker you really can't say witch is better I have been around electrics the blow the 100mph barrrer and then some