Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

.46 size Outrunner! FROZE 2 of THEM!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 11:42 AM
volcomSNOWs2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .46 size Outrunner! FROZE 2 of THEM!! Help!!

Hey there RC Universe guys and gals! I have a dilema and need your input please! I am in the testing phazes of a 55" Electric Katana. My own design. Will be on the market shortly. My power is a motor called the Emax BL2826/06. I am running a 14x7 (first flight) and 13x6.5 APC E (second flight), 3200 mAH 4S Lipo, 60amp speed control. These are the outrunner specs:

Specification
- No. of cells: 4 x Li-Poly
- RPM/V: 950RMP/V
- Max. efficiency: 83%
- Max. efficiency current: 15-35A (>75%)
- No load current / 10 V: 2.6A
- Current capacity: 49 A/60s
- Internal resistance: 82mohm
- Dimensions: 30x26mm
- Shaft diameter: 5mm
- Weight: 182g
- Recomended model weight: 2000 - 3500g
- Recomended prop without gearbox: APC13X8/APC 14X8.5

Okay now with the problem. I NUKED 2 of these back to back! I mean 1 flight each! 1st flight roughly 6 minutes. Second flight, wrung it out a bit, flight lasted 8 minutes. Both flights were at mostly 50% power with bursts power for some climb outs. At no time was the outrunner abused. After landing, the temp was checked and the motor was cool to the touch, as was the esc and battery. Plenty of cooling available straight thru the cowl to the end of the fuse outlets.

The Problem with the outrunner: Both motors, a magnet strip or 2 have pulled from the can. Causing rubbing on the armature. Whats the deal??? [:@] Am I running it too hott? Can the magnetic bars to re glued to the can? I am pretty frustrated. Could it be that these motors just SUCK in general? Please give me some input on what outrunner options I have in this size range. I like the Eflite E46 but man, its just too costly! Any information from u guys would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks much!!

This is the outrunner
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88798.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	552528  
Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: .46 size Outrunner! FROZE 2 of THEM!! Help!!

Do you know exactly how many amps you are pulling with those props individually? Have you done a bench test? What brand battery and ESC are you using?

It could just be a cheapy motor, I have always stuck to the E-Flite stuff. I know they are pricey, but well worth the hassel you get with the other brands.

So the plane is around 6.5lbs if I am converting correctly? I think this is the motor you are talking about, but here is the link anyway http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Te...odID=EFLM4046A
Old 11-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Dr Kiwi

Sounds like lousy glue holding the magnets in. You can reattach them with Loctite 638 (make sure the polarity is correct), but I would contact the supplier - they should make it right.

Here's a link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=74270
Old 11-01-2006, 12:14 PM
volcomSNOWs2k

ORIGINAL: fliprob17

Do you know exactly how many amps you are pulling with those props individually? Have you done a bench test? What brand battery and ESC are you using?

It could just be a cheapy motor, I have always stuck to the E-Flite stuff. I know they are pricey, but well worth the hassel you get with the other brands.

So the plane is around 6.5lbs if I am converting correctly? I think this is the motor you are talking about, but here is the link anyway http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Te...odID=EFLM4046A
Wow I love these RC forums! Thanks for the link and info! Yep thats the Eflite motor that I am considering. What do you think? You are right there on weight. Its right at about 6 pounds. I have checked the amp draw and honestly I cant remember what the numbers are. As for Batt brand, I have to get that info when I return home. The esc is a generic 60amp. I mean I can go to Castle Creations and get an ESC but I dont think the problem is with the ESC. In any case, I just got to get this plane back flying before our annual AMA show. Thanks for your reply!! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 11-01-2006, 12:16 PM
volcomSNOWs2k

ORIGINAL: Dr Kiwi

Sounds like lousy glue holding the magnets in. You can reattach them with Loctite 638 (make sure the polarity is correct), but I would contact the supplier - they should make it right.

Here's a link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=74270
Thanks for the tip on the Loctite!! I will try that for sure! How good do they actually hold up? [sm=cool.gif] I'd love to view that link that you have posted for me, but its not working. It says there are no blogs by this person. Can you check it and send it to me again please? Thanks!!

Oh ya, WHere can I buy that Loctite 638 at? Thanks!!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:57 PM
Fliprob17

I think that motor will haul ***** [:-] I just like the E-Flite stuff. Seems to be very reliable and looks nice and clean.

I think you can get that locktite at any automotive store, like PepBoys, or maybe a hardware store like TruValue. I use the "red" strong hold for just about everything permanent, jet ski motor even, and it holds up great. I don't think you will have any temp./release problems.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:10 PM
dfalcon
My Feedback: (76)

Have you opened up the motor to confirm that it's a loose magnet yet? I have a smaller on of these (BL2215) and after about 5 hard flights, the motor was grinding. I opened it up and found that some of the windings had slipped loose from the armature, and they were being ground between the magnets and the armature. I pushed the loose wires back onto the armature and over as many wires as they'd fit over, and I had no more problems with the motor until the shaft broke in mid-flight.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:00 PM
morespeed

hey fliprob,
how come eflite speedcontrollers only go up to 40amps. i got their 46BL and it calls for a 60amp.
do you know anything about these brands that are on ebay.

EMAX OR MYSTERY.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:37 PM
morespeed

hey fliprob
nevermind about the emax or mystery. they scare me.[:-]
Old 11-29-2006, 09:37 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Wow, I just noticed that someone said that Eflite stuff was "pricey." [sm=confused_smile.gif]

Compare to Hacker and AXI, and it's downright cheap. Overall, Eflite is in the midrange.

As far as why Eflite only makes 25 and 40 Amp ESCs... Dunno. I do know that Horizon has other brands of higher-capacity ESCs available. IIRC they sell Castle Creations.