Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Thunderbird ESC Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Truglodite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunderbird ESC Brakes

this is a followup to my previous post, which was answered quickly and precisesly in this forum, so i figured i'd pass my second question off in here too.

i'm using a castle creations thunderbird-9 esc mated with a feigao 12mm 5300kV motor and GWS 4030 prop (cut to 3" diameter) to power the tail motor on my honeybee cp2 helicopter. everything works great, but i wanted to make it even better. with heli's, the faster the tail responds, the better the gyro works. i was thinking about using the brake function on the t-bird9 so the prop can stop quicker when the gyro wants it to.

before i do this, i'm curious exactly how the brake function operates on these t-birds. i'll probably have to reprogram my tx for this, so i'd like to know exactly what the esc will do. is it similar to car esc brakes, where you get linear braking action on the bottom half of the stick, and 0-100% throttle on the top half of the stick? also, i'm not sure how hard this setup can brake. could it brake hard enough to loosen my tail prop? i hope not.

i'm not 100% sure if it will even matter how the brake operates in my application, but i'd like to know for my knowledge and peice of mind before i take the heli up with a tail brake.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:20 PM
pilotpete2

Default RE: Thunderbird ESC Brakes

OK, I'm not a heli guy, but I don't think you even want to think about using the using the brake function on a tail rotor.
The brake on the T-Bird ESC as in most aircraft controllers is not linear, but rather kicks in when the throttle is closed to stop the prop, mainly to allow a folding prop to to fold on a glider, also I think there is a bit of a lag in the ability to throttle up quickly when the brake engages.
But again, I'm not a heli guy, so let's see what someone with actual experience has to say.
Pete
Old 11-08-2006, 10:00 PM
Truglodite

ok, so it's a fast brake that is not linear. i think i might attempt to give it a hover and see how it responds. i was hoping for a linear brake, since i want to avoid completely stopping the motor unless absolutely necessary.

for not being a heli guy, you know a lot about helis. you picked out startup time after braking as an issue, which it can be in this case. that's also a reason ppl don't like the 12mm inrunners on their tails. the micro heli cult is anticipating the arrival of the eflight 14gram 2200kV outrunner, which will solve many tail control problems.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:12 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Truglodite,
Yup, I don't fly them, but I hang around with a bunch of guys that do Just the other day got a nice demo of the new E-flight Blade CP Pro[8D]
Pete