Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

ESC switch question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:33 PM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESC switch question.

I am building an electric powered plane for a friend of mine. I have zero E-power experiance. He has sent ma a Castle creations thunderbird 18 ESC to install in it. This ESC has no on/off switch. My question is this: can I put a switch between the ESC and the reciever? The plane has no battery hatch so the sing must be removed to hook up and unhook the battery. I am worrid that the reciver will drain the batt pack unless the plane is taken apart.

Any thoughts.

Thanks,
Old 11-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: ESC switch question.

I tried to do that and it did not work. Mainly because the switch only has two wires. It does not carry or pick-up the white wire which is the signal wire that the receiver uses to tell the ESC what to do. Now, if you splice the signal wire out of the switch connection, leaving it attached to the ESC, and splice it back into the plug that goes to the receiver, I think that may work. I just didn't feel like messing with it, so when I plug in the battery, my system is on.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:08 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Harbor Freights planes have a ON-OFF switch on the outside of the plane body. It DOES NOT turn off all power!!
Only the motor power.
SOOO. 3 days later you have a 0.00 vdc NIMH pack waiting to be charged up.
This no good.

Somehow, by a simple pair of Bullet connectors in + or - , all power needs to be broken in the battery leads.

Other companies probably do the same stuff. People just keep buying new batteries.

It is a win, win for everyone.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:29 AM
jaimicook

I have a scratch built Wacon N trike gear cabin which I electric powered. It has a hacker A30 12XL motor and a Castle ESC. I have to remove the upper wing to get tot he battery. I used a Radio Shack high current 2 pole single throw toggle switch with the switch handle projection out of the cabin under the upper wing so that the power is turned off until I am ready to fly. I turn on the transmitter, turn on the airplane switch with the throttle off, hear the familiar Castle "song" on it's internal beaper, and I'm ready to go. I don't have to wory about geting tangled with the Cousineart up front in the event the throttle is bumped on.
Jim
Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 AM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

Jim, Which lead are you switching? The pos lead to the reciever or the motor?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:40 PM
cyclops2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You only need to put the switch in EITHER the + or - lead FROM THE BATTERY.

A ------SPST switch will work. Make SURE the switch is RATED for AT LEAST the same amperes as your ESC. Voltage rating will be ok.