Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Controlling Throttle

Old 11-15-2006, 10:26 PM
aerofart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Controlling Throttle

I am hoping someone can explain how I can gain fine(finer) control over my throttle.

Currently, the motor doesn't even start spinning until about one click past half-stick. This leaves me with less than half the range of my throttle stick to adjust motor speed. As you can imagine, each click on the throttle creates a considerable step in power to the motor, as opposed to having a nice smooth ramp-up/down. This reduction in throttle range also keeps me from more precisely adjusting my flight speed, especially annoying when I can't bring the plane in for a landing at low throttle - always forced to land dead-stick.

My gear is:

Motor: Ripmax XTRA 2829/13
ESC: JETI 08 Advance Plus
Power: 3-Cell Li-Po

Thanks,
Sal
Old 11-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Controlling Throttle

What TX are you using? Your TX should have a setup feature (if it is a computer version) that will allow you to adjust the EPA, or end points on the throttle channel. You simply adjust the EPA until when you move the stick up from dead throttle, about 1 or two clicks up the prop starts turning. Then check the max throttle EPA as well, make sure you hit full with 1 or two clicks left to go.

If you do not have a computer TX, then you need to try and reprogram your ESC for the min. and max. throttle. Just go thru the setup procedure again and that should fix it. Actually you may want to reprogram the ESC before doing the first option as well, just to make sure that is not the problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:46 PM
coolbean

What esc are you using. If the ESC is autodetecting the range of stick throw before arming, then the arming procedure needs to be precise. On my brushed ESC I set the throttle to full, then turn on the esc, then run the throttle down to off slowly but smoothly. The esc beeps and is now calibarated and armed.
On my brushless ESC it just assumes 100% travel. You have to make sure if you have a computer radio that your max throws are 100%. Any more and your wasting control throw, any less and the esc either will not arm or will not go to full throttle or both.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:37 PM
aerofart

Problem solved.

As you both suggested, I ensured my trims and subtrims were all zeroed out, then set my positive travel to 100% and my negative travel to -100% and then (here comes the part that I wasn't doing before after each adjustment) re-armed the ESC. That did the trick. Smooth, precise control from dead to full stick! Yeah - instant better pilot! Who says sweating the details isn't worth the effort?

I had already experimented with all the various values I could think of, travel adjustments, subtrims, trims, but they weren't being taken into account by the ESC because it had a memory from the last time it was armed. The new settings needed to be reprogrammed into the ESC by the ARMING procedure with the correct settings on the radio.

Thanks for the help!