Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

gear or direct

Old 11-19-2006, 03:58 PM
shadows2013

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear or direct

ok i need some help. my first plane is a slow stick with a 400 geared motor. today i bent the shaft for the prop on a hard landing. now im looking online and its very hard to find just a drop in replacement wich leads me to my question:should i buy a mount for a direct drive and use my 400 motor ,i assume ill need a diffrent prop than the 10 x 6 stock one right?will it have the same power?the stock setup had plenty of power for me but i dont want to lose any either.or if i go direct do i need a whole new motor all together?im not going brushless or lipo for a while .
ill add this so you have all the info , the electronics are from a crashed p51 (parkzone)so im running these motors on 10.8 volts and they are only rated for 7.2 but i flew it like this for a while without burning anything out.
so ill ask again in shorter form:can i run my motor from a geared setup in a direct setup without losing any power if so what prop would i need?
thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2006, 10:44 PM
packyj

Default RE: gear or direct

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWK45&P=0

towerhobbies has quite a few 400 sized brushed motors... If you are running a smaller prop, which you are correct in thinking that running direct you'd have to, you will lose quite a bit of power. I would imagine a 7x4 or something is about as big as you'd want to go direct drive just as a guess. I would just replace the motor from tower or another online site...
Old 11-19-2006, 10:45 PM
packyj

Default RE: gear or direct

that was a little unclear... I would use the gear box and 400 speed motor is what I had intended to say... I apologize