Community
Search
Notices
Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives Discuss all aspects of brushless motors, brushed motors, speed controls (ESC's), gear drives and propellers in this forum.

Motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Steve201a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motors

What is the difference between an electric "inrunner" and "outrunner motor and what type is generally used in a slow flier type aircraft?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Motors

This is how I understand it, I try and only use outrunners, they just seem to be easier to deal with. The inrunners typical require a gearbox because they have a much higher rpm/kv rating. So you need the gearbox to slow them down, so you can throw a bigger prop on without *****g out the system. The outrunners typically run lower rpm/kv ratings, therefore no gearbox required. They both mount differently as well. The outrunner typically is a stick mount, while the inrunners sit in more of a carrier so to speak. I would recommend an outrunner.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:27 AM
jdetray

Default RE: Motors

With an outrunner, the outer portion of the motor (the can) is the part that spins, while the inner part of the motor is fixed. With an inrunner, the inner portion of the motor spins, while the can is fixed.

Outrunners are generally best for spinning a large prop at relatively low RPM with relative high torque, which is what you need for either a slow flyer or a 3D type plane.

- Jeff